Talk

Advanced search

Planting our leeks

(7 Posts)
Umpteenthnamechange Fri 19-May-17 16:47:02

I'm growing leeks for the first time this year. Gardeners world said to do the hole filled with water method.

Well I've just done that with my 17 (yes) seedlings. But when I fill the hole with water by the time I've moved on to the next few the first couple have had all the water go right through and I can see the roots. Is that okay? It sure what I should do as they say not to backfill with soil so.... that part of my veg plot is looking quite holey at the moment

arbrighton Fri 19-May-17 17:30:28

I didn't know about the water thing?!?!?

But we grew perfectly reasonable leeks last winter just leaving them in a six inch deep hole- they back fill over time.

Do then push the soil up against them as they grow so you get the white bits though

ProfYaffle Fri 19-May-17 17:33:51

I've never heard of the hole filled with water method either. I generally use a dibber to make a deep hole then curse muchly when the side collapse and poke the seedlings into it. Have never had a problem.

Umpteenthnamechange Fri 19-May-17 17:34:19

So I leave the roots open like that and not back fill - yet over time I do more than back fill and push up soil against them? This sounds like a contradiction haha! Funny things leeks

Umpteenthnamechange Fri 19-May-17 17:35:55

Step 5

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-leeks-from-seed/

Also check out videos smile

bookbook Fri 19-May-17 17:53:14

I always plant my leeks like this
dib a 6" hole, put in leek seedling, fill up hole with water, and leave alone - they fill themselves up ! ( have an allotment ) smile

Trethew Sat 20-May-17 09:57:01

I've always done this. The old bloke next door called it "puddling in"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now