Talk

Advanced search

Plant to follow forget me notes???

(12 Posts)
tadpolefeet Wed 17-May-17 17:27:24

Hi there all you gardeners and plant experts,
I have a question for you... my Forget me nots are fading, and it is nearly time to pull them up. Any suggestions for what I can replace them with? I'm looking something of a similar height, and either pink or blue. Ideally something that self seeds, as I'm a lazy Gardener!
Many thanks!

tadpolefeet Wed 17-May-17 19:03:17

Bump bump... pretty please!

I'm opening my garden for a small local charity in a few weeks and fear there will be lots of bear earth!!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 17-May-17 19:19:54

But if you pull them up before they have set seed you won't get any forget me nots next year!

sunnyhills Wed 17-May-17 20:07:37

I was looking at some nemesia in Homebase today ,it smelt lovely . It's perennial but I don't know if you could grow it with forget me knots ,they might smother it ?
Perhaps someone will advise ?
www.henrystreet.co.uk/plant-of-the-month-nemesia/

Comes in different colours .

MGwynzy Wed 17-May-17 20:17:29

Have you thought of Ageratim and Thalacrium

MGwynzy Wed 17-May-17 20:17:55

Sorry ageratum

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 17-May-17 20:24:55

I've been googling this today as I have more and more forget-me-nots every year.

From what I've read you can cheerfully pull them all up; if ready shake them about to scatter the seeds, but it sounds as if they will do that by themselves anyway grin

Then fill in with annuals. Bedding plants are quite small atm - I've just bought nemesia, verbena and mimulus but they are tiny. You can get bigger specimen plants in pots though.

Ferguson2 Wed 17-May-17 20:26:56

Hardy Geraniums (cranesbill NOT Pelargonium) are very versatile:

www.jparkers.co.uk/perennial-plants/by-variety/hardy-geraniums

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 17-May-17 20:28:59

They are lovely but they'd be pushing up before forget-me-nots had finished - would that be a problem?

IAmcuriousyellow Wed 17-May-17 20:35:26

There's a lovely plant called Brunnera that looks like FMN, a bit more blue, that grows well in shade if thats any help?

tadpolefeet Thu 18-May-17 09:50:57

Thanks for all the suggestions! I usually give the FMNs a shake as I pull them up, and they reappear without any problems. Some years there are more than others, but so far they've been fine.
I'll go through these suggestions, go to the garden centre fingers crossed!

arbrighton Thu 18-May-17 12:50:07

Pretty sure my forgetmenot seeds itself every year- I certainly didn't plant it and I don't make any effort to spread the seed. It's a pretty weed in our house. The goldfinches were actually picking it over last night. And some of them have visible new growth at the base too

I've pulled most of mine now. I've had cosmos growing from seed for a while so will fill some gaps with that, some with the dahlias when they're a bit further on and some of the other perennials I've bought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now