Talk

Advanced search

Plant ID please?

(12 Posts)
ElleDubloo Wed 17-May-17 14:45:58

1. Saw this in a neighbour's front garden, and then again in Osterley Garden. I think it's stunning. What is it please?

2. This monstrosity is in my garden. It's not looking good at the moment, but is it worth me trying to rejuvenate it, or should I get rid of it? (What is it?)

Thanks!

ElleDubloo Wed 17-May-17 14:46:29

In number 1, I'm referring to the orange flowers.

May09Bump Wed 17-May-17 15:34:42

i think they are poppies - I'm new to gardening too.

tealady Wed 17-May-17 15:40:49

2 is fatsia japonica. Yours maybe suffering a bit due to the dry weather but I love them.

tealady Wed 17-May-17 15:42:03

1 looks like california poppy

TroysMammy Wed 17-May-17 15:42:19

Californian poppies. Fatsia is the other one.

Fragglez Wed 17-May-17 15:44:52

1 is Californian poppies. They are lovely and the buds have little pointy 'hats' that are very satisfying to take off once they are loose. Your neighbour would probably give you some seed heads to shake in your garden.

Elphaba99 Wed 17-May-17 15:45:21

Yep. Californian poppies will seed themselves so will come up again next year. And yes, the big plant is a Fatsia. Can be pretty if kept smallish. Like shady areas.

Deux Wed 17-May-17 15:51:11

We've got an amazing fatsia in our garden. In deepest shade under a tree.

I'd suggest a bit of maintenance. So remove all dead and damaged leaves as a first step. Then decide what kind of shape you want it to be. So you could remove all the lower leaves and thin it out a bit. Get some more light in there. Then some more planting underneath. Different huecheras might be good as they provide contrast.

ElleDubloo Thu 18-May-17 01:32:02

Thanks everyone! Amazing knowledge, as usual!

arbrighton Thu 18-May-17 13:00:26

Def california poppy. Escholzia.

Dead easy, self seed, other colours available

GingerKitCat Thu 18-May-17 13:19:11

Keep the fatsia and do as Deux suggests, they're awesome! The really knackered leaves snap off quite easily from the trunk if you apply a little downward pressure. If they're not quite ready just trim the stalk close to the trunk and the stub will eventually fall off.

Plant loads of lower stuff under and around and it will become a dramatic focal point in the flowerbed. They are evergreen too! I have lots of hellebores and a euonymous around mine for winter interest.

It should have weird spherical cream flowers at the end of summer, I love them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now