Talk

Advanced search

What is this beauty?

(9 Posts)
CarbonMint Wed 17-May-17 09:58:50

I have this beautiful shrub that's suddenly sprung into life.
Any ideas what it is? And do I need to prune it or feed it or just leave it be?

NanTheWiser Wed 17-May-17 10:03:21

Possibly Weigela rosea, you can prune after flowering if necessary - it flowers on old wood.

MGwynzy Wed 17-May-17 10:14:45

As Nan says, wait till the flowers have faded then prune. I find the way to get the best display is to make a fan shape. Weigelia are tough old birds and don't mind a hard cut back. Look for any weak branches and anything too crowded and cut those branches right out. The new branches forming after pruning will be the ones to produce next year's flowers. It can get unruly and leggy if it is not pruned.

Of course if you are growing for screening, then just leave it, but it will probably need supporting.

CarbonMint Wed 17-May-17 15:05:51

Thank you. I love it . It's in straggly fan shape already so I'll definitely give it a good prune in autumn and shape it.

MGwynzy Wed 17-May-17 15:33:42

No dont do it in Autumn as you will be cutting off the flower Producing branches for next year.. As soon as the last flower has gone, cut it back and give it a feed.. During summer and autumn it will put on lots of new growth which will bear next year's flowers

CarbonMint Wed 17-May-17 18:38:32

Right. Will do. Thanks again.

MrsBertBibby Thu 18-May-17 06:34:20

Anyone had any joy with weigela cuttings? We have a stunner but it completely blocks the view from the kitchen window so it has to go. When is the best time to take cuttings?

CarbonMint Thu 18-May-17 06:42:09

MrsBertBibby

Funnily enough I was looking at this last night. homeguides.sfgate.com/starters-weigela-plants-36257.html

MGwynzy Thu 18-May-17 07:41:04

Not sure about cutting but I have moved mine a few times, it seems not to mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now