Talk

Advanced search

just planted out my poinsettia

(6 Posts)
InsideVoices Sun 14-May-17 20:07:22

Hey there, I know I'm a bit late to do this but I'm really chuffed with this plant as they normally go into the compost here... I've somehow managed not to kill this one since Christmas and when looking into it discovered that poinsettias normally lose their colour in January, however mine has amazingly kept it's red. Should

InsideVoices Sun 14-May-17 20:13:04

Sorry, my phone doesn't like my fingers today. Should I prune it back or have I left it too late? I really want to see if I can get it to go red again which I know involves the strict hours of daylight later in the year but I'm not sure if I should be removing leaves at this point? I can handle watering but cutting back of plants is next level gardening for me... many thanks smile

scotjls Tue 16-May-17 23:25:37

Hi, I have two poinsettias indoors from Christmas 2015! They both seem to be on different timelines though. They have both mostly kept their green leaves until recently. One has turned red again, while the other has dropped most of its leaves and now has lots of new shoots. They aren't much different in size to when I bought them but I haven't potted them up. I hadn't thought of putting them outside. Will be interested to hear how you get on.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 17-May-17 08:06:39

It's hard to say whether it needs cutting back without a picture.

InsideVoices Thu 18-May-17 19:47:11

Sorry, I should have pics attached to this post... well done on getting one to go red again scotjls, I hope I can be as lucky! I repotted and then buried the pot in soil, I'm not sure if I had to but I'm sure I read to. I've only recently had plants start living under my care and like Jon Snow, I know nothing blush

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Tue 23-May-17 22:02:00

It looks fine to me.
If you end up with straggly stems with leaves only on the end of them, cut it back about halfway down the stems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now