Talk

Advanced search

Could I paint a glazed ceramic garden pot?

(5 Posts)
Wingedharpy Sun 14-May-17 13:01:56

Just that really.
We have just had a bit of a garden refurb and I have a very large ceramic jar-type pot which now looks out of place, largely because of the colour.
Could I paint it? What paint and prep do I need? Would it cope with the great UK weather or would we be forever having to move it under cover?
Will post in DIY for additional views.

viques Wed 24-May-17 20:46:47

I have a glazed butler sink which I painted blue with what if I remember was fence paint, it was years ago, but there is still a bit of blue trellis left and it is the same colour. Butler sink also still blue, flaking off a bit now but still ok.

Palomb Fri 26-May-17 08:20:28

Yes you can. I recently sprayed a glazed garden pot with Valspar and it worked really well and looks great. I would I imagine the weather would be ok but my pot is in my living room. The valspar did say indoors or outdoors on the can.

livingthegoodlife Mon 29-May-17 21:01:51

i painted a pot with just ordinary gloss paint, its doing fine. They are multi surface primers you can use first for a longer lasting finish.

Wingedharpy Mon 29-May-17 22:14:18

Living - was your pot glazed? - and does it live permanently outside?

Paloma - I looked at the Valspar which you suggested but I think the cost would be prohibitive. It's a very large pot, approx 4 feet tall and rounded (I think it's official description is Cretan oil jar).

I'm not convinced that fence paint would give me the finish I want viques.

Many thanks for all suggestions.
I don't want to ruin it as it's a lovely pot even if I would prefer it to be green.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now