Talk

Advanced search

Please identify this...photo included

(6 Posts)
PianoDentist Sat 13-May-17 19:01:32

I am not a gardener. No experience whatsoever. I've done some googling but can't seem to identify this for certain. Closest I can guess is a clematis but haven't found a photo of one like this? Please help me!

Liara Sat 13-May-17 19:27:37

It's a vinca (periwinkle). Looks like vinca minor argenteovariegata to me.

PianoDentist Sat 13-May-17 19:41:11

Thank you so much! That does seem to be it. Thank you!

NanTheWiser Sat 13-May-17 20:39:45

...and it will slowly take over your garden...

GingerAndPrickles Sat 13-May-17 20:51:07

Yes it will get very spready, but think carefully before taking it out because it's great ground cover/weed suppression.

PianoDentist Sat 13-May-17 21:24:28

Well it's funny because we moved in 4 years ago and the garden was a complete jungle. It took us all summer to clear it. We found two apple trees and a plum tree completely strangled by brambles (I didn't know brambles could be so huge!!)

Anyway, I'm sure I noticed this by the fence a couple of years ago and liked the leaves so left it and hoped it would live. This is the first year I've seen the purple flowers. It hasn't grown much at all in those couple of years. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's taking a long while to recover from being strangled for however long.

We're moving house in the next few weeks and I'm trying to identify all the ones I want at the next place. Thank you again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now