Talk

Advanced search

What can I plant in this? Ideas pleaae

(20 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sat 13-May-17 16:55:45

We've just had our patio repaved and I've bought a new large container (see pic). I wondered about a miniature apple tree under planted with strawberries?? Any suggestions

AdaColeman Sat 13-May-17 16:57:35

Olive tree surrounded by herbs?

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sat 13-May-17 17:03:19

Oooh I like that idea!!

crazymissdaisy Sat 13-May-17 17:05:52

a holly tree, if its by your front door you can put fairy lights in it at christmas!

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sat 13-May-17 17:11:19

Great stuff! I'm even more confused now what to put in there! Keep the ideas coming!!

GingerKitCat Sat 13-May-17 19:31:52

Will it be in sun or shade? Is the patio quite sheltered?

Liara Sat 13-May-17 19:46:22

Is it going to be against a wall? A climber?

I don't think it's quite big enough for a fruit tree, you would struggle to get it to produce much with a root size that small.

You could have some berry shrubs if you wanted though.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 14-May-17 21:37:14

It's going to be against a fence in partial sun and is quite sheltered.

Flopjustwantscoffee Sun 14-May-17 22:28:53

Blueberries? They would be ok in partial shade and the foliage looks nice in autumn too (as well as being delicious). Or if you had your heart set on a tree maybe a fig tree? I know they are happy with having their roots fairly common strained, but someone more knowledgeable than me should be able to confirm that!

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 15-May-17 07:20:58

Thanks- I'll look into the fig tree idea!

arbrighton Mon 15-May-17 08:44:00

What actual dimensions is the planter? Hard to tell from pic

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 15-May-17 09:48:19

Hi - its dimensions are - H 43 x W 60 x D 38cm. I bought it primarily to cover up an unsightly drain area!! The fence it will be against is on a side return of a terrace and faces West. It gets sun in the afternoon for a few hours, then is partial shade. I wanted to get some height really and some spread rather than a low shrub. I was thinking along the lines of a climber, but would prefer something with more year round interest. I like clematis but once the flowers are gone, although you get fluffy seedheads, there's no colour.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 15-May-17 09:51:24

I wondered about a climbing blueberry???? Billardiera Longiflora apparently......

Fragglez Mon 15-May-17 09:51:25

An acer?

There's some gorgeous red / purple ones for colour.

GingerKitCat Mon 15-May-17 10:31:19

Fatsia? Pyracantha? Both evergreen smile

arbrighton Mon 15-May-17 10:47:22

If you do go for blueberry, remember they need ericaceous compost.

I have a (small) fig in a pot far smaller than that, next to the front door. It's got fruit on it that's developing nicely. It'll go into a bigger pot eventually, maybe

Fragglez Mon 15-May-17 15:16:51

Just seem some lovely bourgenvilla at Lidl!

It's not hardy though, if that needs to be a consideration?

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 15-May-17 17:10:51

I love bougainvillea but I live ooop North so probably not wise!!! Seen the climbing evergreen hygrengea and that's a favourite at the moment!!

evilgiraffe Mon 15-May-17 17:15:06

You could put a an obelisk type thing in it and have a climber. I had an apple tree in a pot and it did very badly! If it's not at risk from children at play maybe an Acer if you want a tree?

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 15-May-17 17:36:26

I've settled with an evergreen climbing hydrangea. I can underplant it with bulbs for early spring. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! I may have to buy more pots!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now