Talk

Advanced search

So these tomatoes ...

(12 Posts)
Umpteenthnamechange Sat 13-May-17 07:00:56

I chucked some leftover seeds into this IKEA tub early this year after poking holes in the tub (we were throwing it out anyway) - and now have these 4 teenage beauties.

Should I plant these out into the garden soil now?

Or should they still stay indoors for a couple of more weeks?

Or should they go out but into individual pots?

Or should they be grown on our two hot south facing window sills in individual pots?

Head exploding with the options!

ElleDubloo Sat 13-May-17 09:18:11

They're a pretty decent size. It's mid May, and where I am the frosts should be well past by now. Whereabouts in the country are you?

CoxsOrangePippin Sat 13-May-17 09:27:01

Ooh can I join this thread? I want to buy some pre-grown tomato plants at the garden centre and put them in grow bags so if umpteen can put hers out now then probably I could go to the garden centre too smile

(I am ginormously pregnant and due in a couple of days which is why I'm not just popping to the garden centre and asking!)

Umpteenthnamechange Sat 13-May-17 10:00:00

Bedfordshire! I would most happily see these bastards out of the house. But not if it will kill them of course!

Can they go? Oh please say yes and they will go out this very second

CarbonMint Sat 13-May-17 11:49:40

Ohhh. Mine look like that too. I have to keep mine inside on the utility room window sill as I live in Scotland. Last year they grew brilliantly under the upstairs hall velux, I currently have peppers growing there. grin

AdoraBell Sat 13-May-17 11:55:34

I have some tomatoe plants, that I bought not fantastic freebies like your's envy, and I'm waiting until these ominous clouds have buggered off. SW here. Then I will see what the weather does next week.

Umpteenthnamechange Sat 13-May-17 14:48:16

I've put my tub with its plants and makeshift cage out on the vegetable plot soaking in the sun.

Will bring pot in at night

Then will keep doing this for a week ish so they have days out in their spot on the plot and then plant them out - they are bloody 10-14 inches tall they better leave home now

ElleDubloo Sat 13-May-17 18:58:55

For Bedfordshire you should be ok to start gardening off now, as it's past the last frost date. Gradually get the plants used to being outside, with the aim of planting out permanently in 2 weeks. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and bring them back inside if there's a very cold night predicted!

ElleDubloo Sat 13-May-17 18:59:11

Hardening off, not gardening off

CoffeeAndCakeYum Sat 13-May-17 22:29:55

Put them out but keep your eye on night time temperatures, it's not just frost you need to look out for, temperatures of 5c and below can affect tomato plants.

CoxsOrangePippin Mon 15-May-17 17:22:26

I now have tomatoes out in grow bags smile went for mega sized grafted plants this year - will see how the yield and flavour compares to last year's fancy heritage ones

Umpteenthnamechange Tue 16-May-17 13:20:34

update

Tomatoes have been planted into the vegetable plot direct to the soil for the last few days now. They are doing very well and have inexplicable grown more in these past days. They are looking extremely sturdy and happy with their stakes and are soaking up both rain and sun. Have been fed for the first time as well and all is good smile

To think these were some old seeds I found at the bottom of a drawer early in the new year! I thought they'd long expired!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now