Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration for the bleak view out my kitchen window

(15 Posts)
givemestrengthorgin Thu 11-May-17 21:09:52

The image that should hopefully be attached to this is the view from my kitchen window and I hate it...does anyone have inspiration and ideas for what I could do to make it nicer to look at? I have a lovely garden just round the corner but can't see it from the window and seem to spend too much of my time standing at the sink looking at this shit view. This patch is almost always shady, there is no 'garden' area for planting anything and the 'privacy screen' we have up is attached to a rickety old bit of wire so I would worry about hanging anything heavy of it. What can I do to improve my view?

Fantasticmissfoxy Thu 11-May-17 21:41:56

How about some planter troughs with trellis attached (like this)
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2967017?store=833&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156%7Ccid:596650041%7Cagid:28594343605%7Ctid:pla-186035604805%7Ccrid:95889016045%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:17144160388074303758%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=CMrYhrvZ6NMCFYWc7QodUTgGCg
With hostas and ferns and some climbing hydrangea up the trellis? Also I think the climbing rose mme alfred carriere will grow away in the shade and has beautiful flowers

GingerKitCat Thu 11-May-17 21:58:32

Could you paint the trellis cream/ grey/ seagrass using Cuprinol garden shades or Wilko equivalent and get some tall (30cm+) troughs for the base? If they're wood you could stain them natural or paint them the same shade as the trellis.

There are loads of good shady plant options, I'm sure we could come up with something. I'm thinking along the lines of some decidous and some evergreen so it doesn't look too sad in winter smile

Off the top of my head I'd probably have a fatsia japonica as they can tolerate shade and look lush and glossy all year round, and some ferns. Maybe a red acer too (mine seem to do okay in shade). And some smaller, colourful stuff at the front (I need to think about this, too tired!) Other shrubby options include hydrangea, skimmia, euonymus. I really like a variety of foliage in shady areas - different textures, different colours including yellow/ golden for contrast.

I'd have a shade loving climber at the back. Is the hedge behind evergreen? I'm about to buy a Madame Alfred Carriere rose which is white with a hint of blush and tolerates shade well. It's supposedly very vigorous. Perhaps someone can come along and tell me whether it's suitable for your space grin

I'd also have some large, striking pots to the immediate left of the panel with a mixture of things described above plus some shade loving annuals such as trailing begonia.

GingerKitCat Thu 11-May-17 22:00:39

Foxy got there before me!

Great minds grin flowers

There's also a shady characters thread on here which could provide some ideas.

If you go for hostas prepare for slugs!

givemestrengthorgin Thu 11-May-17 22:13:23

Thank you both so much for very helpful responses smile. I'm a complete novice when it comes to plants and gardening so will need to Google all your recommendations and pop into my local garden centre for a chat.
Those planter troughs look great. I was worried climbers wouldn't grow very well when there were in 'pots' and in the shade...a double whammy but sounds like that may not be the case.
The hedge behind the lattice panel is fake...from dobbies and just bought as a privacy screen. It's worked a treat and looks really good but it's only zip tied onto a wire fence and it's not very stable.

GingerKitCat Fri 12-May-17 00:43:52

Ah brilliant, I wondered if it was a deciduous hedge that would leave you with a bare backdrop if I was to recommend deciduous climbers. It's very convincing grin

I've looked at those Argos planters before for my garden but I was put off by the reviews. Some say the build quality is flimsy and the base isn't very durable. The plants I've recommended need a decent depth for their roots - the taller the trough the better really. To me the Argos planters are really designed for summer bedding plants or a couple of small shrubs/ climbers max.

I'd be tempted to make or order a chunky wooden trough/ slim raised bed and attach your existing trellis panel to the base. It's already a nice height for a climber (the argos ones are 4ft tall, possibly 3ft from the top of the trough). With a lick of paint it could look really good!

I always try to make planters as large as possible for the the space. Small pots have a habit of looking a bit rubbish and dry out faster grin

Crispbutty Fri 12-May-17 00:44:48

A bird feeder?

Rollercoaster1920 Fri 12-May-17 00:51:15

Can you install a mirror so you can see the lovely garden around the corner?

GingerKitCat Fri 12-May-17 01:03:57

This is the kind of look I'm describing.

planter with trellis

I think it would look even better with your tall trellis and a lovely Mme Alfred Carriere rose and gorgeous underplanting! If you decide on a fatsia japonica it might have to go in a separate pot alongside as they get quite bushy.
Screwfix has lots of other wooden planters (get one the same width as your trellis grin):

planter

Or Primrose has a version here:
Primrose planter

I haven't researched prices very much, these were the first google threw up smile

MrsBertBibby Fri 12-May-17 06:46:42

Second for the bird feeder. I can watch them for hours.

user1492287253 Fri 12-May-17 06:53:10

Can you install a mirror so you get the view of the nice garden?

JT05 Fri 12-May-17 07:20:52

How about a small water feature, with a solar panel somewhere in the sun, if possible, to run it?
Failing that a bird bath to go along with the bird feeder.

Thecontentedcat Fri 12-May-17 07:26:31

M.Alfred Carriere is very vigorous, IRS beautiful but you'll need to stay on top of pruning. We have one in shade it's covered in flowers but covers half the front of our house!

lametamenameframe Fri 12-May-17 07:50:56

Rosa var. Alberic Barbier will tolerate shade in a container. It is also vigorous. You could grow a clematis through it, perhaps an alpine variety like Francis Rivis to flower before the rose. Or, attach some window boxes to the top of the wall and plant them with lily of the valley for spring, companion planted with hellebores or sarcococca to give winter interest and put shade tolerant bedding or perennials such as astilbe or ferns during the warmer months.

givemestrengthorgin Fri 12-May-17 15:02:24

Really helpful responses, thank you. I like the idea of a bird feeder and some kind of mirror so I can see the garden. That would also help me keep an eye on the kids a bit better when they are out playing and I'm stuck inside trying to catch my tail with the washing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now