Talk

Advanced search

I've made this thing. What plants shall I put in it?

(22 Posts)
BeachysSandyFlipflops Tue 09-May-17 15:34:54

So, I found this huge lawn scarifier (sp) in a bush in the garden and I've strung up some terracotta pots. What plants would look best in it? There are six smaller pots and six bigger.

I've got a herb patch so would prefer flowers or trailing strawberries or something?

Any ideas, dear MN gardeners flowers

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 09-May-17 15:44:56

Shame as it would be perfect for herbs.

Variegated ivy is nice trailing and easy to keep. Primulas are cheap and cheerful and don't have to be too bright if you don't want in your face colouring.

Will you line the pots? terracotta always worries me as everything dries out so quickly, or you could put some gel in with the compost I suppose.

I'll have a think. Maybe heathers, rock garden plants or succulents? Depends on your style.

GingerKitCat Tue 09-May-17 15:57:55

You might be better attaching them with dark green gardening wire. I've found gardening string deteriorates quite quickly sometimes! I wouldn't want you ending up with any smashed pots shock

Trailing begonias, trailing petunias, trailing fuchsia? Morrisons have trailing fuchsias for £1. Mixed in with some trailing greenery?

I've never grown strawberries (trailing or otherwise) so no help sorry grin

BeachysSandyFlipflops Tue 09-May-17 15:59:59

I started with string and then moved onto wire for exactly that reason! So there a mixture at the moment!

I need to go and suss out trailing stuff.

What would you line a pot with?

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Tue 09-May-17 18:00:05

If you have the right size plastic pots to fit inside the terracotta ones, use those. That would make watering easier too, just remove them all and stand in a tray for a while. Otherwise some polythene? Poke some holes in the bottom. The right amount of water for whatever you choose will probably be crucial for your display.

MrsBertBibby Tue 09-May-17 22:33:46

Bacopa is traily and goes on for yonks with minimal care.

Bidens is a good tough trailer too.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 09-May-17 22:36:28

sweet peas?

viques Tue 09-May-17 22:39:16

I would choose something that will stay in there all year, maybe sedums, you can get lots of different colours .

PurpleWithRed Tue 09-May-17 22:39:47

Are the pots going to be at an angle? How are you going to keep the compost in (or am I being daft?) They are going to get pretty dry - I'd be thinking about bedding geraniums, or rockery stuff like aubretia and alyssium. Or even an artful arrangement of succulents (I have one, very effective it is too). I would imagine strawberries would struggle because of the dryness.

BeachysSandyFlipflops Wed 10-May-17 07:04:49

Mrs BB, bacopa and bidens look lovely. I might look for those. I was worried about succulents getting too big, but I'm sure those suitable for rockeries would be fine....

I did see a bunch of bright gerbera yesterday which looked lovely but would be short lived and a bit clown like!

sunnyhills Wed 10-May-17 12:42:54

I tried something similar with pots on ladder rungs but I'm afraid it didn't really work .
One of the problems was indeed the pots slipping to a 45degree angle so that it was hard to water .
But mainly the problem was that the pots were too small - I had violas and aubretia .The latter did best .

Liara Wed 10-May-17 20:35:28

Unless you are really, really good about watering I would go with succulents.

There are lots that stay small, and they generally look quite good when they are fairly overcrowded too.

Ikea have some pretty nice ones at reasonable prices usually.

eyespydreams Thu 11-May-17 06:16:41

I was just about to say succulents! Various sellers on Amazon have collections of sempervivums and echeveria that look good.

JT05 Thu 11-May-17 07:30:11

I'd second succulents, but also suggest 'thrift' I can't remember it's official name. I have some on my rockery. It's a low growing plant that sends up stalks of pink and white flowers.
The wild variety grows at the sea shore, so it doesn't mind a bit of dryness and neglect.

pansydePotter Thu 11-May-17 08:05:48

I had something similar but water just fell out taking some Compost with it each time. I found the only way to water it was to take off the pots and put them In a bucket of water. Mine were not tied though. I wonder if there is a way for you to prop up the fronts so that they are a bit more upright.

As for plants I would put a nasturtium seed in each. They don't mind drought conditions and flower for ages. They are prone to blackfly though so you might want to spray.

Firenight Thu 11-May-17 08:08:06

Sedums would be perfect.

I have inherited a tonne of small terracotta pots with this garden and that is my plan.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Thu 11-May-17 08:46:47

Don't plant gerbera, the pots are too small to support them.

Whatever you plant, start off with the pots horizontal and only elevate them once the roots are established.

Sedums, the smaller varieties, would be good for this.

sunnyhills Thu 11-May-17 08:53:22

* start off with the pots horizontal and only elevate them once the roots are established*
that's interesting jesuiswhat's the thinking behind it ? I have too many pots and I'm trying to cut down ,but until I do I'm keen to learn stuff .

BeachysSandyFlipflops Thu 11-May-17 13:09:48

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.... I'll go for succulents and maybe some thrift or similar rockery style planting... flowers

BeachysSandyFlipflops Sun 14-May-17 15:25:13

All finished care of the local village plant sale. A mixture of succulents and rockery plants...

Thanks flowers

MGwynzy Sun 14-May-17 16:31:27

Looks great.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Mon 15-May-17 16:23:02

Enjoy it, it looks lovely smile Local plant sales are great when you can find them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now