Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Magnolia SOS

(12 Posts)
Cupcakey Wed 03-May-17 06:16:05

Really worried my magnolia may be poorly. We planted it last year and it's grown well and started flowering in March/April had frost and hailstone week before last and the flowers are shrivelled (I've heard of this happening before) but the leaves are also shrivelled and brown it's literally happened straight after the frost. Will it recover? Is there anything I can do to help should I remove shrivelled leaves?? Any advice greatly received im not really very good with gardening! confused

Cupcakey Wed 03-May-17 06:17:20

Picture to follow :-)

Cupcakey Wed 03-May-17 19:56:27

My poorly magnolia :-(

sunnyhills Thu 04-May-17 09:17:04

bumping for you cupcake . Apart from knowing that the frost was exceptional in some areas ,I have no idea .

Scrique Thu 04-May-17 13:34:33

Some magnolias (or all?) prefer ericaceous soil. What type is it?

Cupcakey Thu 04-May-17 20:59:05

I've no idea! I'm clueless when it comes to gardening ! How do I know what type of soil I have? confused

Scrique Thu 04-May-17 23:05:14

You can buy soil ph testing kits online and from garden centres.
If your magnolia has flowers like Magnolia 'Susan' (google it) according to the RHS website they prefer acid/ericaceous soil. Others, like Magnolia stellata, which has quite different flowers, likes any soil.
It annoys me, when you you buy something from a garden centre, the label doesn't always state which soil you need. I lost a lovely little magnolia years ago because of this. Blueberry bushes are the same.

sunnyhills Fri 05-May-17 07:48:42

I would also like to know about soil preference for magnolias ...and about the frost damage .

Anyone out there who can help ?

Cupcakey Sat 06-May-17 20:39:07

Thank you :-) will get a kit and test the soil I think the label said Susan but no info about soil type. Will be really sad if I lose it.
Thank you for your help.

Ferguson2 Mon 08-May-17 20:54:10

May be try remove grass from round it, and mulch well with ericaceous compost; don't weed too close to stem or too deeply or you may damage roots. Eventually, if it survives and is doing OK, move it away from the fence, as is is VERY close to it.

Itsnothingoriginal Tue 09-May-17 22:38:31

Agree it does really need more space and soil around it and ideally moving further away from the fence.

My young magnolia shrub looks very similar - all the lovely new leaf growth has been damaged and blackened by the frost. I will feed and mulch it once we've had some rain - at last!!

Let's hope they recover - such beautiful plants aren't they smile

Cupcakey Wed 10-May-17 19:51:38

Thanks everyone I had the argument with my husband that it was too close but he went ahead and planted it hmmwill try and remove the grass around it. Thank you and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a sorry magnolia. I love them but I'm useless at gardening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now