Talk

Advanced search

Hanging basket for a sheltered North-facing alcove?

(8 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 29-Apr-17 09:24:51

Would a hanging basket work in a sheltered north-facing alcove? If so, what plants should I choose? I'd like them to trail down and hang below the basket. Flowers would be nice, but not critical (though I am rather partial to blue Lobelia).

JN in my diagram is a Jasminum Nudiflorum planted on the west-facing side, and spreading happily into the alcove. The blue blob is where I want to hang a basket.

JT05 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:38:06

Geraniums and Bizzie Lizzies don't mind shade. I d try traditional hanging baskets plants, as it seems to have some of a westerly aspect.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 29-Apr-17 11:01:30

Are Busy Lizzies the plants whose seed pods explode if you shake them?

bookbook Sat 29-Apr-17 11:26:45

that looks pretty westerly to me too . As long as it gets a reasonable amount of sun - so if that is the case , most things will grow .
I tend to go for things like bacopa, verbena , trailing nepeta - all traditional hanging basket plants

PurpleWithRed Sat 29-Apr-17 11:35:17

Violas and begonias are happy in a shadier spot. Or you could go all alternative and do a green basket with ferns and little hostas and moss. But it would need very very diligent watering. If all else fails you could do something very natty with house leeks all round the basket, down the sides as well as on top

sunnyhills Sat 29-Apr-17 13:26:52

These are Bizzie Lizzies .I don't think they pop .
Vigorous, versatile and floriferous, Busy Lizzies are guaranteed to brighten up even the most shaded areas of your garden, giving a bold splash of colour all through the summer and well into autumn. It's little wonder they're the nation's favourite bedding plant. They keep blooming through sun or rain! Busy Lizzie 'Accent Mixed' is a compact variety with a magical array of colours in solid shades and bicolours. Back at long last - we removed traditional Busy Lizzies (Impatiens walleriana) from our range several years ago due to the spread of impatiens downy mildew in the UK. Positive reports from gardeners around the UK, along with problem-free results from our technical trials in Suffolk in the past two years, have given us the confidence to bring traditional Busy Lizzies back. Height and spread: 30cm (12")

Now why haven't I planted them in my own shady area ???

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 29-Apr-17 13:32:08

I had a google - they are! Busy Lizzie seed pods do pop if you shake them! I remember the fun of doing that when I was a child. grin I shall have to get them for sure.

GingerKitCat Sat 29-Apr-17 20:28:20

Nothing to add but love the diagram grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now