Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Raised bed for flowers OR turf?

(4 Posts)
Umpteenthnamechange Fri 28-Apr-17 06:39:22

Have just removed old patio slabs from this area in the picture and removed about 3-5 inches of gravel. There's still gravel and sand underneath. Have put on 100 litres of compost and topsoil as you see.

Should we lay down some fancy unusual turf ?

Or (my preference) a raised bed? Would like to make it a pretty patch and ideally have some flowers but not sure what's shallow enough? Any perennials? Or would it just be annuals?

Any ideas on how to make it pretty?

Umpteenthnamechange Fri 28-Apr-17 06:46:15

I posted previously and got excellent suggestions for what to plant but now that I see that it's quite shallow not sure what would work or if those would work with a raised bed

Here is the previous thread Help me plan a new flower bed
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/gardening/2912370-Help-me-plan-a-new-flower-bed

JT05 Fri 28-Apr-17 07:56:46

A raised bed would be a good idea if you are keeping the play area, as it will prevent the plants being trodden on.
Annuals are more delicate, so I'd plant a mixture of perennials with a few annuals.
Lowish perennials such as hebe, cranesbill geranium and a few for height such as verbena bonariensis or some tall grasses, would be tough. Then you could put in some annuals as well.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 28-Apr-17 08:34:26

I've got a border with very shallow soil - right now a lot of healthy perennial geraniums, oriental poppies and lupins leafing up, among a sea of self-seeded forget-me-not, with some bellis (I think thats what they're called - fat bright daisies) at the front for seasonal colour. There are also some self-seeded honesty and aquilegia in flower and foxgloves springing up.

Maybe some ideas there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now