Talk

Advanced search

Do you tip prune chillie plants?

(10 Posts)
Draylon Thu 27-Apr-17 17:42:57

See photo with that universal measuring gauge, the coke can!

I know with tomatoes, your're supposed to nip out the shoots growing above each branch, but that's to make it put energy into fewer stems and more fruit; with chillies, do you tip prune to promote bushiness?

Never grown them from seed before!

Note: 2 different varieties in 2 different shaped pots!

Cathpot Fri 28-Apr-17 20:34:57

Just marking my place as I'm interested in this. I've never pruned chillies before and they are pretty prolific usually- but maybe you would get larger chillies? Not sure . I do hand pollinate with a paintbrush though. I'm also going to try a tip this year which is to put silver foil reflectors underneath.

Pestilentialone Fri 28-Apr-17 22:23:13

At the end of the season, if you are going to try overwintering, they need a good haircut. Otherwise, just let them grow. Different varieties produce very different shaped plants.

Draylon Sat 29-Apr-17 00:00:27

Cathpot tell me about hand pollination! I have 2 varieties- should I pollinate like with like? And with the foil reflectors, presumably under the growing peppers?

Draylon Sat 29-Apr-17 00:00:55

Overwintering won't happen, Pest!

Trills Sat 29-Apr-17 00:14:31

With tomatoes you get rid of the armpity branches

With chillis I would pinch out the top, in order to encourage branching.

Draylon Sat 29-Apr-17 10:13:20

Thanks! I'll wait til they're a bit bigger and will tip prune. I gather I need to pollinate like with like, though they will live outside so maybe insects will do the job!

Cathpot Sat 29-Apr-17 13:30:09

Small paintbrush and wiggle it in the flower- you can see the pollen - and then wiggle it in another flower. I'm sure the bees will do it for you but I do it just in case. I'm not sure about how to do the silver but I think I'm going to go for a for a strip of card wrapped in foil and then tucked around the bottom as an upward facing cone shape.

Trills Sat 29-Apr-17 14:00:45

I have one plant that has overwintered for a few years - it did start making a very weird shape so I had to give it a good prune.

GingerKitCat Sat 29-Apr-17 20:25:13

Arf at armpity bits Trills

I must be a really inept chilli grower, I've never considered any of this stuff oops! I've overwintered two cayenne plants. One is 9" and the other's about 15". They were grown in the same pot so I separated them a couple of months ago. Wondering if I need to give them a light prune/ tlc! Off to read up...

Sorry to crash your thread OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now