Talk

Advanced search

Are these patio plants? Pomegranate, figs, kiwi fruit, grapes and goji berry.

(10 Posts)
PaddingtonLoverOfMarmalade Wed 26-Apr-17 17:46:18

According to Groupon these are all patio plants, which I take as meaning I can put them on some stone slabs in my back garden and keep them watered. I'm not a gardener so if you are, please tell me: do any of them stand a chance? I'd love to give it a try but surely some of them would die when it got a bit cold? Perhaps I'm being a bit defeatist - sorry Groupon!

Pestilentialone Wed 26-Apr-17 17:48:41

We have figs and kiwi planted in the garden. They grow and fruit like mad. You would need biggish pots and might have to wrap the pots if there is a big freeze.

Pestilentialone Wed 26-Apr-17 17:49:11

Beware, a happy kiwi is a triffid.

AlternativeTentacle Wed 26-Apr-17 17:51:02

All hardy. Which means they survive the winter. Well, depending on the variety. Sand presuming you mean the UK as opposed to Alaska. And the patio is somewhat sheltered. And the pots are big.

TheDrsDocMartens Wed 26-Apr-17 18:23:21

our pomegranate looks dead every year but comes back to life. Never had fruit from it or the kiwi. Lots of figs though.
The gojis didn't do anything in pots but make a great hedge on the allotment.

TheDrsDocMartens Wed 26-Apr-17 18:23:48

our pomegranate looks dead every year but comes back to life. Never had fruit from it or the kiwi. Lots of figs though.
The gojis didn't do anything in pots but make a great hedge on the allotment.

PaddingtonLoverOfMarmalade Wed 26-Apr-17 18:59:55

Ok, that was a flurry of positive posts, I'll give it a go. We are a family that loves fruit.

Bit of a gardening novice here - if I repot them into something bigger do I use those bags of cheap compost everywhere's selling at the moment? Our patio faces roughly South, with a bit of West. I could put the gojis against a fence - currently doing a clear out of plants that have grown scraggly through lack of pruning (imagine dozens of 1-2 metres of dead sticks with the tiniest tendril of hope at the end of just one of them).

Pestilential we're also science fiction/dystopian fans, you convinced us. The rhubarb and gooseberry bushes have been disappointingly non-aggressive. Have a long-handled pair of secateurs and patio cleaning brush if things get nasty.

JT05 Wed 26-Apr-17 19:13:04

I grew a fig for years on a patio. It liked to be SW facing, with its back to a wall, so it was sheltered. It grew in a medium sized pot, I believe they like their roots restricted. We got fruit every year, not huge amounts as it was only about 100cms tall.

sunnyhills Wed 26-Apr-17 20:16:15

Have a long-handled pair of secateurs and patio cleaning brush if things get nasty. smile

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 26-Apr-17 22:56:27

The first three are trees, the grape needs a lot of room and dedicated pruning to bear good fruit and I've never grown goji berries so that could be a patio plant but none of the others really are. They all require room and the kiwi needs another kiwi boy/girlfriend in order to bear fruit - they can grow well as wall shrubs but need around 12ft of wall each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now