Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bulbs look lovely now, but what to do when they're gone?

(8 Posts)
Thegirlisnotright Tue 25-Apr-17 13:38:06

I have lots of narrow beds that are full of spring bulbs (daffs, tulips and bluebells) which are still looking ok at the moment, but what can I put in to cheer them up for the summer? There is a lot of crocosmia there too but that does take over a bit.
Also have lots of bulbs planted on a grassy bank under a tree which I know will look rough when the bulb foliage is cut back.
Any ideas?!

arbrighton Tue 25-Apr-17 13:40:35

annual bedding plants or a mix of perennials (may need to dig the bulbs in a bit deeper)

Thegirlisnotright Tue 25-Apr-17 13:52:29

Forgive my clueless question, but why would I have to dig the bulbs in deeper? And how and when do I cut the bulb foliage back? We only moved last summer so I didn't do anything with the garden last year 🙈

arbrighton Tue 25-Apr-17 15:08:58

Depends on the size of the plant you are putting in on top/ around them...

And don't cut the foliage back til it goes brown as the nutrients need to move back into the leaves.

You can tie/ elastic band them to make them neater

MintToBee Tue 25-Apr-17 17:12:04

You could use these? I'm thinking of using these to grow onions.
www.selections.com/pair-of-round-bulb-baskets-30cm-by-garland.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5rCJIiRwZWKJm63TuFE0oLK6Fl0kJfXdzjbnRbgaP8RzrRoCtgLw_wcB

pansydePotter Tue 25-Apr-17 17:43:36

Maybe you could scatter an annual wild flower mix on top of the soil. They will germinate really quickly and will start to flower not long after you have cut back the foliage. Alternatively California poppy seeds, lightly covered as These will flower anywhere and self seed. Loads of bedding plants around at the moment. If that is your preference, I would plant a box or two now and then some more in 3 weeks. That way you will get a succession of plants.

Dahlias tubers and begonia tubers can also be planted now.

Thegirlisnotright Wed 26-Apr-17 22:16:09

Think I'm going to try the seeds, thank you. Have bought some California poppy seeds to start with. Might have to wait a week or so- it's been pretty cold here!

pansydePotter Thu 27-Apr-17 08:11:34

I always wait till May for Wild flower seeds. In the past I have staggered the sowings. But I found that the later sowings caught up with and sometime overtook the earlier ones. I love the fringed varieties, and the plain ones. They are such a no nonsense, no faff plant they lasts through till Autumn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now