Talk

Advanced search

Tobacco Plant question

(4 Posts)
MintToBee Tue 25-Apr-17 11:27:22

Im in West Coast Scotland. Has anyone had any success growing Nicotiana Sylvestris in our cool cold climate?
Would it be better grown in container's so it could be stored in the boiler shed over winter?
I want to recreate the heady smells of childhood summer's in Spain.

wilma60 Tue 25-Apr-17 11:59:33

It's only half hardy in colder climates so grow it as a half hardy annual. It wont survive winters in your area. Grow fresh plants each year. You can grow the from seed to buy the plants from a garden centre or online.
They dont survive winters here in the south of England. Be aware that touching the plant can cause skin irritation
This site Sells them and there are other sites too www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Flower-Plants/Nicotiana-sylvestris_41.html?gclid=CMWxhNC5v9MCFUK4GwodETIH8g&ccode=F17PGP#.WP8rzfB4WrU
Hope that helps :-)

FreeButtonBee Tue 25-Apr-17 12:04:18

They grew amazingly in my very sheltered SW London garden last summer but our winter (which wasn't that cold) killed them off. So I'd give them a try in a container.

MintToBee Tue 25-Apr-17 12:20:31

I have found some plug plants so after this cold snap this week I think I'll give it a try and pot them up for the yard. The beauty of living on a farm is huge empty feed container's on tap. grin
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now