Talk

Advanced search

What should we grow here? (Pic)

(24 Posts)
Rosie70 Tue 25-Apr-17 09:39:10

My DH and I are novice gardeners with a tiny London garden. Neighbours have put up new fences so we need to plant some stuff to cover them quickly. What would you recommend? Thinking some flowering evergreen climbers would be good. Or semi evergreen though I'm not sure what that means. It's sheltered and both fences get some sun, the side one only a little but the back one from late morning till about 5pm. And what about the borders? Keen to make the garden lovely but we are clueless. Thank you!

JT05 Tue 25-Apr-17 11:39:49

Clematis and climbing roses would be my suggestion to cover the fence. Some clematis are evergreen. Summer jasmine would also climb and with scented roses would be gorgeous.
Underplanring depends on how much time you have, spring bulbs to go in in the Autumn, Lavender, cranesbill geraniums and hebe all look after themselves.
But before you do anything, you soil looks like it needs improving. I'd get some bags of soil improver, manure and general compost to dig in first.
My late MIL had a tiny London garden and that's what we planted there, it was a little gem when finished.

keeponkeepinon Tue 25-Apr-17 14:41:08

I'm interested to hear what you do, I'm a novice and have a similar corner to fill...

Rosie70 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:53:57

Thanks so much JT05! That's so helpful. If anyone else has suggestions please suggest away.

keeponkeepinon Tue 25-Apr-17 18:29:14

I'd like some summer jasmine but not sure whether to grow in my sunnier bed. The corner I have is slightly shady doesn't get loads of direct sunlight. East facing. I wondered if winter jasmine might work better. I have a magnolia in that corner but nothing else. It's a bit spindly but maybe that's the lack of direct sunlight. Would this work with winter jasmine to the side or even one on either side going up each fence? I might dig out a small bed and put some annuals in to see how things go.

TheBestNewt Tue 25-Apr-17 18:48:54

A climbing hydrangea is another option and they are hardy plants and easy to grow. They do well in shade/partial shade too so would be a good option for your side fence.
Clematis are of course beautiful and there are so many variations to choose from.
Perhaps even a passion fruit or honeysuckle.

Loving your overhanging cherry tree smile

TheBestNewt Tue 25-Apr-17 18:51:40

Oh I have a winter jasmine too - in a rather shady, very shallow bed up against a north facing wall. Mine grew incredibly fast but is wonderful when there is no other colour in the garden and suddenly you spot a burst of bright cheery yellow!

Rosie70 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:07:49

Lovely ideas thank you!

clarabellski Thu 27-Apr-17 10:45:07

There was a segment on Gardeners World last week were Monty planted climbers (roses and hydrangeas from memory) on an east facing wall. Might be worth a watch on catch up OP

arbrighton Thu 27-Apr-17 11:01:04

Sister has a tiny london garden too- she's got one raised bed at the back, paved the rest (and she did that herself!) and then lots of pots- these provide a height difference and reduce the need for digging into the crappy clay

She's got several clematis and jasmine- you might need trellis.

Hellebores in the bed to provide early interest

'architectural' grasses

(lots of purple/blue/ white (architect with strong colour preference) and we tried to mostly do perennials that are fairly slug proof as she is positively PHOBIC)

Can't remember what else TBH but we mostly bought stuff cheap e.g. at morrisons rather than garden centre prices bar a few 'specimen' plants

Rosie70 Thu 27-Apr-17 17:09:12

Thanks Clara and Arbrighton I am feeling very inspired and avidly reading up on all the plants suggested x

Garnethair Thu 27-Apr-17 17:19:21

If you buy climbing roses (which you definitely must 😀) don't be tempted to economise by buying cheap ones. David Austin roses have fabulous huge flowers and scents and are really worth having.

arbrighton Thu 27-Apr-17 18:05:14

Yes David Austin roses are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pretty. I have a couple but will be finding room for more, once baby is born- not really doing enough in the garden because of that

Rosie70 Thu 27-Apr-17 20:16:57

Ooh I may well invest in some of those roses they are gorgeous.

picklemepopcorn Thu 27-Apr-17 20:21:36

I second climbing hydrangea. They are so easy, and have a lovely habit as they climb across and up the fence. The flower seems to stay on through the winter.

Liara Thu 27-Apr-17 20:52:54

In a tiny London garden, I would not put up roses unless they are thornless. They can grow out a fair bit unless you stay on top of the training and can snag as you go by.

Are your neighbours OK with you putting trellis on the fence? If so, clematis would look lovely, maybe growing through a relatively thornless rose such as Zepherine Drouhin or Mme Alfred Carriere (which also has the most heavenly scent of any rose ever).

If not you could put a self clinging climber, such as a viginia creeper (parthenocissus). Not evergreen, but beautifully coloured in the autumn. Or you could have a variegated ivy, though they can damage the fence eventually so your neighbour might not be best pleased.

In a sheltered London garden I'd be tempted to go a bit more exotic, maybe a passionflower? Or a kiwi, which are quite pretty as well as giving fruit (they can grow ginormous if they like it there, though). Make sure you get a self pollinating one or a male and a female if you go for that, so you get the fruit.

Rosie70 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:33:42

That's really helpful thank you Liara and Pickle. The fences are already high so don't really want to add trellis even if neighbours agree. Does that rule out clematis? My mum has suggested climbing hydrangea and passionflower in fact. And I watched Gardeners World as Clara mentioned and it is in fact the Mme Alfred Carriere that Monty recommends! Loads of ideas now thanks again for all the help. When our garden has been transformed will post an after pic.

picklemepopcorn Fri 28-Apr-17 07:27:18

The trellis would be against the fence to let the climbers twine, rather than above the fence extending the height. I would go with self clinging, I think, like some less vigorous ivies, and hydrangea. Then put prettier plants in front of them, either in big pots or in the soil if you can improve it enough.

My magic mirror worked for the first time, last weekend. I had a new visitor in the garden, and he asked where my Ivy clad mirror door led! Fist pump! It doesn't work for me, because I know what it is, so it was great to see someone else appreciate it.

sunnyhills Fri 28-Apr-17 08:02:16

pickle photo of magic mirror pretty please ?

LTBiscuit Fri 28-Apr-17 08:08:07

Getting lots of ideas here too, thanks op smile

picklemepopcorn Fri 28-Apr-17 18:34:08

I'll have a look tomorrow... But if you know it's a mirror, it doesn't work, and you,ll think it's lame...

I'm going to take some pics soon though, because I've a few beautiful bits. A stunning jasmine type that I'd love someone to identify for me. A tallish wildflower/weed with flowers like forget me nots tucked in the leaf junctions...

Liara Fri 28-Apr-17 20:52:46

Yes, trellis is not on top, just in front so the clematis can wind around it. You could also put wires, but it will never look as tidy. Clematis wind around their support, so need something in front of the fence panel to guide them up.

Cathpot Sun 30-Apr-17 20:54:04

I like the idea about a raised bed- doesn't have to be high but just having a lip at the front so you can chuck some manure in there and compost without having to dig too much. What about a fruit tree trained flat against the back fence- I had an apple tree in a tiny garden grown flat against wires. Lots of advice on the internet about training trees.

Logolphin Sun 30-Apr-17 20:58:59

David Austen Lady of Shallot, its fantastic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now