Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with what flowers

(6 Posts)
Daytona79 Tue 25-Apr-17 08:38:57

We have a area about a foot wide and 3 meters long under our window for flowers I want to plant some bulbs that would come up ever year some in spring I was think tulips then when they die off something else bright and colourful would pop up for the rest of summer

Is this even possible and if so what could I plant

Thanks a lot

AnarchyKitty Tue 25-Apr-17 11:29:22

Gladioli and Iris? I have 200 bulbs starting to shoot up now the Daffodils are done.

arbrighton Tue 25-Apr-17 11:51:38

Allium

Polyanthus Tue 25-Apr-17 13:15:41

Tulips are lovely but they don't all come back each year - check which varieties you want and whether they are reliably perennial. There's a big patch of red tulips in my garden which do come back each year, but I don't know the exact variety. Apparently viridiflora tulips do too - these are the ones that have a green stripe, but I'm only on my first year of these. Oh and "exotic emperor" a lovely double white one - these have come back really well for me but it's only their second year.

If there's a chance you'll have your windows open, think about scent too. I love scented narcissis - these tend to be a but later than daffs (though Thalia is scented and pretty early). I particularly love Avalanche, silver chimes and pheasant eye narcissi poeticus.

Daytona79 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:28:02

Ok do would daffodils be better then I can have bulbs of some of the things you have mentioned which would come up once daffodils die..?

Daytona79 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:36:17

Sorry we are total garden newbies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now