Talk

Advanced search

Plant I.D please

(13 Posts)
pansydePotter Mon 24-Apr-17 13:51:32

Back in February I ordered two Amelanchier that were on offer from Hayloft plants.
When they arrived they were much smaller than I expected. As they grew I thought that they must be a different variety as the leaves looked odd. Anyway I researched and researched and at the weekend I sent a photo to Hayloft asking if they had made a mistake. Turns out they did and they are sending two replacements but could not say what they sent instead. So any ideas for. MN gardeners what my mystery plants could be.

tdm1 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:11:19

Cranesbill geranium?

alwaysthepessimist Mon 24-Apr-17 14:13:27

Possible geranium or maybe Delphinium

Palomb Mon 24-Apr-17 14:15:07

Aconite? Massively poisonous if it is.

Palomb Mon 24-Apr-17 14:15:58

Aconitum is what I was thinking of...

pansydePotter Mon 24-Apr-17 15:00:39

I think delphinium seems more likely. One of them has a bud. Is this the right time of year for Delphiniums.?

arbrighton Mon 24-Apr-17 21:21:10

Not quite the right leaves for delphinium, i'd say probably some sort of cranesbill geranium or aconitum (monks hood), which is poisonous, yes, if you eat it, but then so are daffodils....

Palomb Mon 24-Apr-17 21:56:59

It's a well known poison and can be absorbed through the skin so it's not something I'd have in the garden with young children really.

Loads of info on Wiki.

C0RA Mon 24-Apr-17 22:11:31

Might be geranium Orion

www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/geranium-orion/classid.2000012401/

pansydePotter Mon 24-Apr-17 22:54:19

Yes now I think some sort of geranium. Do you think I can move it to another bed?

C0RA Mon 24-Apr-17 23:03:58

No problem. Just water it .

Keep an eye on it and see how it grows, in case it's something else like the aconite mentioned upthread.

If it's Geranium Orion it has very lax growth and mingles nicely through other plants. It will look a bit sad all on its own.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 26-Apr-17 23:02:10

If it's a geranium there's no way of telling the variety at this stage as there are so many.

Personally I'm thinking aconitum.

It's very strange to substitute two trees with perennials. I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

pansydePotter Thu 27-Apr-17 08:08:10

No it is really odd isn't it. I ordered 3 Cashmiriana Sorbus at the same time and they were perfect. The Amelanchier where in 9cm pots so tiny things when they arrived which was back at the beginning of February. When the first leaves started to show I thought it odd. My existing Amelanchier arrived a mature trees so I had nothing to compare it with. I It was only when they started to grow that I could really see them. I have never had the wrong plants sent before, and they were really apologetic about it .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now