Talk

Advanced search

Plant Id please...

(13 Posts)
Mumofazoo Mon 24-Apr-17 13:51:16

I have no idea what this plant is other than it likes to climb. Any ideas please? Thank you.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 24-Apr-17 14:15:25

Clematis?

Mumofazoo Mon 24-Apr-17 17:37:57

Hmm it doesn't look like any of my other ones. As I have a few.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 24-Apr-17 17:39:01

Honeysuckle?

ErrolTheDragon Mon 24-Apr-17 17:44:12

I think you've got two different types of leaf there. The main plant could be honeysuckle, but the tallest bit in the middle, with heart-shaped leaves looks like bindweed to me.

aircooled Mon 24-Apr-17 20:29:55

Could be honeysuckle but something like `Halliana' instead of the common woodbine types. Has it flowered?

Mumofazoo Mon 24-Apr-17 20:40:24

No I've had it in my garden since we moved in 2years ago and it's never flowered. It's definitely just the one plant as I checked the main part.

arbrighton Mon 24-Apr-17 20:54:59

It looks like some of the honeysuckles in my garden although as PP has said, there do seem to be two different sets of leaves there.

GloriaV Mon 24-Apr-17 21:04:50

Bindweed or clematis. But not sure why it hasn't flowered.
if you give it something to climb, like canes tied into a tepee shape with string or wire at intervals, then it might climb and produce a flower.

Mumofazoo Mon 24-Apr-17 21:14:51

I'll try giving it something to climb up tomorrow then. Here's another pic of it.

Mumofazoo Mon 24-Apr-17 21:23:41

My mum has just texted me to say that it looks like something called Malabar climbing spinach hmm

ErrolTheDragon Mon 24-Apr-17 22:43:26

I just googled that, and it looks different and also apparently isn't frost hardy - so if you've had it 2 years (and are in the UK) that seems unlikely.

All the clematises I've ever seen use their leaves as 'tendrils' to cling, its quite distinctive and this plant isn't doing that.

It should be obvious soon enough if the bit in the middle of the first photo is bindweed as I suspect.

Mumofazoo Wed 26-Apr-17 21:13:13

Yay my mystery plant is honeysuckle. My lovely neighbors father is a keen horticulturalist and was more than happy to check out my not so mysterious plant. Thank you everyone for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now