Talk

Advanced search

What shrub or similar can I plant that grow quickly to provide privacy?

(7 Posts)
Muddlewitch Sun 23-Apr-17 15:11:47

I love my garden but am a bit clueless as I lived in flats all of my adult life until I moved here a few years ago.

We have flowers and some veg etc growing so I can do the basics but haven't ever dealt with shrubs or bigger things before! There is a large gap in the fence on one side (not my fence) that means the neighbours can look straight into our garden and it's getting a bit much with their children. I don't want to fall out with them but my attempts to ignore/politely tell them we are busy and want to be left alone do not work and as summer approaches I would like to be able to sit in my garden in peace. What can I plant along my side of the fence that will grow quite quickly to give a bit of privacy? It doesn't need to be a total block - but enough to stop the children next door from sticking their heads round/stepping through all the time!

The garden is a slight slope and that corner has a shed in and the remains of the fence so is quite shady. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Muddlewitch Sun 23-Apr-17 15:12:50

Sorry should have said, budget is around the £100 mark and the gap is about 4-6foot.

AstrantiaMajor Sun 23-Apr-17 16:14:35

Pyracantha. It is evergreen, grows quickly and is prickly

MrsBertBibby Sun 23-Apr-17 17:20:04

And is stupendously child-repelling, bristling as it does with thorns.

AlternativeTentacle Sun 23-Apr-17 17:22:13

How large is this large gap?

JT05 Sun 23-Apr-17 17:27:50

You could plant a couple of types of Pyracantha or Berberis, to give you plant interest on your side.

Muddlewitch Sun 23-Apr-17 17:38:24

Pyracantha seems like it could fit the bill! I have got children too but they are a bit older and stay over the other side of the garden so would be fine to just stay away from the thorns I think. The Berberis looks lovely too from my googling - love the reddish colours.
The gap is about 5 foot so with those suggestions I might be able to do something that would both keep my garden to myself and look nice too.
Thank you for everyone's help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now