Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to start- exposed, clay soil building plot on a slope!

(6 Posts)
Somanyillustrations Sun 23-Apr-17 07:36:31

Be gentle- I don't have the first idea about gardening!

We are coming to the end of a self build, and need to think now about what to do outside. The house is at the top of a 1 acre plot, which was previously a pony paddock.

Most of the plot will be allowed to re-wild (within reason), and we will be sowing meadow seed in the dry areas, while trying to contain the brambles, willow and rushes in the wetter parts.

We would like some sort of lawned area, and will probably put up a temporary fence around a 15sqm area on the flat area at the top of the plot. I am planning to plant bare root hedging inside that to give it a chance to take, as we are hugely exposed.

In terms of other plants though, I have no idea where to start! The soil is very heavy clay, with granite underneath, so gets waterlogged quickly. We will be putting extra topsoil on the lawned area though.

What else might survive a windy, wet, semi coastal garden?!

Any help gladly received grin

Somanyillustrations Sun 23-Apr-17 17:52:23

Hopeful bump!

JT05 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:18:13

Some shrubs would do well.The garden at my H/H sounds very similar and years ago, when it was a new build, the owners put in a wide variety of shrubs, hebes, small conifers and rhododendrons. They all are thriving. The westerly sea wind does limit their height.

Somanyillustrations Sun 23-Apr-17 19:07:06

I don't mind height limited as the view is fab, but a bit of a wind break would be rather nice. ..

Thank you!

JT05 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:43:41

Our previous owners planted Leyllandi! Which we cut down. But we have left a controlled Laurel hedge. Rowena trees, known as mountain ash, are pretty and like the environment. Pieris seem to do well and there is also Buckthorn, which tolerates salty winds.

Liara Sun 23-Apr-17 20:19:27

I'd advise really contemplating building some raised beds.

It will massively help with the waterlogging issue, and give you nice contained areas you can do some ornamental planting in which you can keep tidy even if the rest of the garden is a bit wild.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now