Talk

Advanced search

Plant identification, please?

(14 Posts)
ElleDubloo Sat 22-Apr-17 21:04:41

Please could you help me identify these plants? I'm new to gardening. I'm suspect these are weeds but just want to be sure before I dig them up. Thanks in advance!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 22-Apr-17 21:08:33

#1 looks like sedum. Not a weed, a lovely late summer / autumn flowerer.
#2 not sure, looks pretty - anemone. Keep.
#3 weed. Goosegrass/cleavers/stickyweed, depending on your part of the country. Get it out before it seeds. It's not hard to get up but goes everywhere fast.

Igneococcus Sat 22-Apr-17 21:09:26

First one is a sedum of some sort, second are wood anemones, third one looks a bit like sticky willy but could be scented woodruff.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 22-Apr-17 21:09:45

Anemone should have had a ? - it was just a guess.

Tarrarra Sat 22-Apr-17 21:12:46

I think number 2 is astrantia, number 1 is a sedum type plant. Number 3 is a weed.

Igneococcus Sat 22-Apr-17 21:13:04

Definitely an anemone, Anemone nemorosa, I think.

elephantoverthehill Sat 22-Apr-17 21:14:27

No.1 sedum or commonly called ice plant
No. 2 wood anemone. It is a wild flower but very pretty
No. 3 Sticky weed, pull up and get rid, but first hang it on the back of your DCs for a prank.

Igneococcus Sat 22-Apr-17 21:16:48

www.almanac.com/plant/sedum
That is how 1 will look like in flower.

Hassled Sat 22-Apr-17 21:18:07

Yes, what you need to do with Number 3 is see how long your DH/DC will go around with some stuck to their back. In DS3's case the answer is hours and hours.

averylongtimeago Sat 22-Apr-17 21:19:38

The first one is a sedum, common name "ice plant" it has pink/purple flowers law Sumner, the second is an anemone, the third looks like a weed.

Ferguson Sat 22-Apr-17 21:21:01

The 'fleshy' one is a valid plant, I think, and the hollow brown stems from last year can be cut off; Sedum I think, and should flower in the autumn; bees like it.

The one with buds is a wild plant, but should be pretty; there are other weeds in there though, including dandelion I think, which should come out.

The 'creeping' one could be cleavers (is the stem rough?) and should come out, and also more dandelion.

MrsBertBibby Sat 22-Apr-17 21:22:05

Do NOT introduce your kids to the joys of sticky willy. I showed mine, and now they are a little tag-team of noxious weed spreaders, making sure it gets maximum coverage in our garden.

DancingLedge Sat 22-Apr-17 21:23:52

Can I just say thank you for these plant ID threads, they're brilliant

ElleDubloo Sun 23-Apr-17 07:10:16

Thanks everyone, that's incredibly helpful! Surprised that 2 out of 3 mystery plants are indeed good ones, as the garden has been neglected for many years before we moved in.

Re sticky stuff: DDs are only 2.5 years and 7 weeks, so might need to wait a while for the pleasure of prancing them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now