We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What killed my tomato plant? 🌱

(19 Posts)
Crunchyside Sat 22-Apr-17 20:46:29

I planted 3 tomato plants in a raised bed and one of them has mysteriously died... it was okay a few days ago! In fact it was thriving the best out of the three and already had flowers. Is it disease or cold or what? Anyone got any ideas?!

Added a picture of its healthy sibling for comparison!

(This is like a gardening murder mystery...)

DaffodilTime Sat 22-Apr-17 20:48:46

I love the murder mystery thing!!

Have they had the same amount of water? I'm not experienced and no help at all really. Mine all look very slightly unhappy and I can't decide if I water too much or not enough but it's very complicated if there are other factors too grin

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 22-Apr-17 20:48:56

Cold, probably. Mine aren't going out for another 3 weeks or so. Unless you're somewhere warm? And is there any reason the one that died was more exposed than the other?

TroysMammy Sat 22-Apr-17 20:49:36

Are they outside? The nights are pretty cold and tomatoes like warmth

averylongtimeago Sat 22-Apr-17 20:51:16

Looks like frost damage to me.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 22-Apr-17 20:52:20

Yes it will be cold. I have just been outside to light my greenhouse heaters. Hard frosts forecast here next week in the North of England.

Lalunya85 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:53:05

I still bring mine in for the night. The first time I took them out from their sheltered indoor spot their leaves looked a bit like yours in the "dead" picture. After a few days, the old leaves still look like that but there are new ones emerging which will probably more weather hardy.

Did you harden them before planting out?

I'd cover a y remaining plants with fleece for the next few weeks.

Also, tomatoes don't like too much water (once a week is enough in my experience) and they hate water on their heads. Only ever by the root, at the bottom. A little glass roof is perfect.

allegretto Sat 22-Apr-17 20:53:07

Can I add my tomato question to this thread seeing as it will attract tomato experts, please? I have ONE tomato plant - do I need more than one for it to bear fruit?? Thanks!

Rosieposy4 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:55:29

It is the cold, way too eaely for them to be out.

Imbroglio Sat 22-Apr-17 20:58:54

But surely cold would have affected them all?

Imbroglio Sat 22-Apr-17 20:59:05

But surely cold would have affected them all?

Crunchyside Sat 22-Apr-17 21:00:30

Oh... Well I'm in the South East and the last frost was supposed to be at the end of March. I hardened them off for about 7 days in the first couple of weeks of April and we then had lots of warm weather, they have been thriving for a couple of weeks or so now, but then the last few days have been really chilly, there was a day when the car windscreens were icy at 6am, and then suddenly this one died. So maybe it is the cold sad

averylongtimeago Sat 22-Apr-17 21:01:17

No you don't need more than one plant for pollination, but I would get more than one so you have a back up in case of unexpected tomato plant death.

allegretto Sat 22-Apr-17 21:02:15

Avery - thanks!

ElleDubloo Sat 22-Apr-17 21:07:19

OP, your plants are huge! Mine are still about 2 inches tall... is that a very bad sign?

BarchesterFlowers Sat 22-Apr-17 21:12:47

No Elle, I haven't even planted my seeds yet, I normally do it the last week in April as I grow them outside in grow bags once the plants have developed a bit.

If you are growing outside you start them later generally.

If you haven't seen them these grow bag pots are fantastic, mine are in their fourth year, I usually have 12 plants on the go and they grow well in these.

www.amazon.co.uk/Growbag-Pots-Set-Of-3/dp/B004QLQ95O?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Crunchyside Sat 22-Apr-17 21:14:49

Elle Well I bought mine as nice healthy starter plants from a garden centre at the end of March so they were already fairly good size, but they have almost doubled in size since planting outdoors - like I said we've had some really good weather in the South East in April so they've been really happy til now. In fact they kept wilting in the sun when it was too warm but they always perk up again in the evening. Maybe it was a big shock when the daytime temperature dropped by 10C suddenly. But it seems odd that only one plant has been affected because they're all in the same sunny spot of the garden.

Thecontentedcat Sat 22-Apr-17 21:26:07

The last frost dates in SE England are usually end of April, not march, it's going to be colder, pop some fleece over the survivors and hope for the best.

ElasticFirecracker Sun 23-Apr-17 09:31:36

I have been hardening tomato chilli and squash plants off on a balcony which is fairly sheltered. I've been leaving them overnight but now worried if the weather takes a turn for the worse thy will die.

Is it OK to bring them in again if they've been left out?

Also wondering if it's ok to plant the chillis and cover with fleece at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now