Talk

Advanced search

Beginners' resources

(8 Posts)
WhatToDo99 Fri 21-Apr-17 12:48:05

I'm a complete novice to gardening but have moved into a house with a long neglected garden that I'm trying to sort out, and I'm not sure what I'm doing really!

Could you please recommend any resources (books/websites/apps etc) that would help a beginner gardener out please?

And I think I'm going to be posting here a lot too!

handslikecowstits Fri 21-Apr-17 13:08:06

This is quite an old book but I have it and found it very useful. www.amazon.co.uk/How-Garden-Practical-Gardening-Beginners/dp/1856263835?tag=mumsnetforum-21

WhatToDo99 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:51:10

Ooh that looks great thanks I've just ordered it!

Any more for any more?

JT05 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:08:51

Alan Titchmarsh did a series of books for beginners with basic garden information, published by the BBC.
I think there are two volumes.

viques Fri 21-Apr-17 14:27:09

Buy the best tools you can afford, a good trowel,secateurs, garden fork will pay for themselves over and over again. Look after them ,put them away when you have finished and they will last for years.

Paint the handles a bright colour like red or orange so you can find them again when you put them down while you have a cup of tea.

Those large brightly coloured plastic buckets are useful for lugging stuff about.

Try to get used to wearing gardening gloves, buy cheap and throw away is my motto.

might be a good idea to ask your GP when you last had a tetanus jab.

Don't be shy about asking friends for cuttings and seedlings, most gardeners are generous people who are happy to share advice and plants.

I love reading general gardening books written by people who know about gardening and who write well eg Christopher Lloyd, Beth Chatto, Marjory Fish, Vita Sackville West, they all have (or had sadly) gardens you can visit, which is another tip, go and visit as many other gardens as you can, the National Gardens Scheme is great, look it up online you will find lovely gardens near you, usually owned by lovely people offering home made cake and lots of ideas, it's a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

viques Fri 21-Apr-17 14:29:18

And start a compost heap!

WhatToDo99 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:41:59

Thanks! This is all really useful info!

arbrighton Fri 21-Apr-17 15:40:53

Don't do too much now, at the start of spring- look at what appears. If there is something you like the look of, stick a tag or label on it, then take a photo and post it here so we can help you figure out what you have.

Agree re visiting other gardens- big ones like national trust, but also your neighbours- they'll know about local conditions and might have spares to give away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now