Talk

Advanced search

House plants

(15 Posts)
milkmoustache Fri 21-Apr-17 10:19:39

I have decided we need more indoor greenery. I can't stand rubber plants or spider plants, we already have a peace lily which is ok but not my favourite.... I am a bit fussy, obviously, but can anyone suggest some alternatives? Big and small plants, I don't mind! Thanks

MollyHuaCha Fri 21-Apr-17 10:31:05

I love these, lovely in a corner against pale background or in front of a mirror or window.

milkmoustache Fri 21-Apr-17 10:59:38

Nice. What is it called?

MollyHuaCha Fri 21-Apr-17 11:09:48

It's just a palm, they come in various sizes and just need a little water and enough natural light. If you get one, check the soil doesn't have insects - impossible to get rid of them! Huge ones of a metre or more high look amazing if you have space. If not, then a 20cm one in a pretty pot is also really lovely.

Eatingcheeseontoast Fri 21-Apr-17 11:13:08

I've got a twisted fig which must be about 20 years old now and is about 3 foot high - I love it.

GinAndOnIt Fri 21-Apr-17 11:15:51

Oooo watching this with interest! I need more greenery indoors smile

We currently have lots of succulents (I like them on windowsills because they're not tall enough to block out light, but still offer a bit of green) and ferns.

I like that fig!

AstrantiaMajor Fri 21-Apr-17 12:24:56

These all came from Wilko, really cheap and dead easy to,look after

milkmoustache Fri 21-Apr-17 13:13:51

Aha! Wilko has recently opened near me, had no idea they did plants, good tip!

Cambergirl Fri 21-Apr-17 20:46:26

Devils Ivy. Quick and easy to grow. And cuttings dead easy to root.
Umbrella and rubber plants. We have two 6ft Umbrellas and a 5 ft rubber.
I also have rabbit foot ferns, Swiss cheese plants and about three million spider plants!

Semaphorically Fri 21-Apr-17 20:50:37

I have a ZZ plant that came from Ikea of all places and it is absolutely impossible to kill. I've had it for years. I very seldom water it. I leave it in rooms with little natural light. And after all this maltreatment if I remember to be nice to it for a while it happily perks up and starts growing new leaves.

applecatchers36 Fri 21-Apr-17 21:05:19

I have peace Lilly, Verbena and Pelargonium which flowers often and has pretty pinkish, purple flowers

MsUnderstanding Fri 21-Apr-17 21:55:06

Orchids www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=388
Oxalis, the purple type.

ElleDubloo Sun 23-Apr-17 07:16:27

I've got an ivy tumbling down from the top shelf of a bookcase.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sun 23-Apr-17 08:10:02

I've got a schefflera (umbrella tree) that is nearly 30 years old, in a shady corner. Lob a bit of water in every few weeks, dust the leaves occasionally, that's all it needs.

CheepAndOrm Sun 23-Apr-17 16:30:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now