Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this plant please?

(16 Posts)
juneau Wed 19-Apr-17 13:51:40

It's all over my garden (or it was until yesterday, when I waged war on it). It's really rampant though and I struggle to keep it at bay. It has a huge tangle of roots once it gets to about a foot high and I'd love to know what it is. The first pic shows the above ground bit. It always snaps off at the root when you try to pull it up. The second pic shows a smaller bit with roots attached.

NamelessEnsign Wed 19-Apr-17 13:53:12

The leaves look like anemone leaves to me. Does it flower?

juneau Wed 19-Apr-17 13:56:20

Er - can't remember. Sorry, that's not very helpful. It spreads though - like wildfire - and not just to adjacent areas. It's all over my garden so it must seed - right?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 19-Apr-17 13:57:47

ground elder?? I can't see the leaves properly, have a google

MrsGotobed Wed 19-Apr-17 14:03:47

I think it's Ground Elder too

educatingarti Wed 19-Apr-17 14:15:14

Yes, I think ground elder. If you keep snapping it off at roots regularly, it will eventually die back but it is a hard one to get rid of.

If you don't mind chemicals, spray with a strong weedkiller once leaves are growing, wait for that to take an effect and then keep pulling up any new growth. Cut off any really tough stems at soil level. Don't try and get all the root out, just keep pulling it up.
If it is in amongst plants you want to keep, just go for pulling up. Large areas without other plants will also weaken if you regularly mow or strim them.

There isn't a quick solution ( that I know of) just need to keep going at it.

educatingarti Wed 19-Apr-17 14:17:13

Actually, looking again, I don't think it is ground elder. If it flowers it may be cranesbill. In any case, my advice will still help.

educatingarti Wed 19-Apr-17 14:18:57

You have to keep on removing any green parts that can photosynthesise until it runs out of energy and gives up!

juneau Wed 19-Apr-17 16:07:01

Right, so I'll keep waging war on it, whatever it is. I've googled ground elder, but the leaves are the wrong shape (reputation-wise it's similar though!).

I have a nasty feeling that this hippyish garden-designer I had might have put it in my garden. She put in all kinds of plants that I don't welcome. Having said 'no ivy, nothing with thorns, and nothing in the bramble family' she managed to add at least one of all the above angry so I wouldn't put this pest past her as well.

JT05 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:21:06

Could it be astrantia? Similar leaves and grows tallish, spreads.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 19-Apr-17 16:31:01

If it flowers it may be cranesbill

The leaves look quite like a very rampant pink geranium which tries to take over part of my garden.

NanTheWiser Wed 19-Apr-17 17:32:58

I think it might be Wood avens - Herb Bennet - Geum urbanum. I have this in the garden - it's a pernicious weed, has small yellow flowers and red whiskery seed heads. A pest to get rid of, I've waged war on it forever! I've been digging some out today, but unlikely to ever eradicate it all.

Lillagroda Wed 19-Apr-17 17:38:04

Another vote for geranium. I have a wild geranium in my garden that looks just like that, if you crush the leaves between your fingers are they scented?

I like mine - but it is a thug.

arbrighton Thu 20-Apr-17 13:41:01

Definitely NOT ground elder, veins all wrong and leaf the wrong shape

Agree re wild geranium/ cranesbill

Ohyesiam Thu 20-Apr-17 13:43:08

I would rather have geranium to ground elder. And this looks like a geranium to me.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 20-Apr-17 15:26:02

Hopefully a little bit has escaped the OP's onslaught so she can report back when and if it flowers. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now