Talk

Advanced search

What are these plants, please?

(8 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 16-Apr-17 15:10:11

The pink ones have lovely, flat, translucent, papery seed pods in the autumn. It appeared in my utterly unsuccessful attempt at a woodland garden, under some trees where nothing but weeds grew. It follows the few snowdrops, and holds its own against cleavers, so it can stay!

The white one also appeared by itself, but it grows in several places...so I'm suspicious of it. The leaves are a paler, slightly yellower green than in the photo.

Honeyandfizz Sun 16-Apr-17 15:13:43

I think they are Honesty, I say think as I'm no expert!

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 16-Apr-17 15:28:20

You're right - the pink one is Honesty (Lunaria). Thanks!smile

Honeyandfizz Sun 16-Apr-17 17:04:08

Yay go me! smile

ChishandFips33 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:00:13

I think the second one is a weed - I'm basing this on the fact my garden was covered in it when I moved in (and it looks like you have 'sticky Jack' alongside it)

I yanked it all out but it still comes back...more slowly though

Jealous of your honesty!

picklemepopcorn Sun 16-Apr-17 19:13:50

Try rubbing the leaf of the second one btn your fingers. If it's pungent and garlicky, it's known as hedge garlic. You can pick and eat the leaves. A hedgerow plant, but not particularly invasive I don't think but I could be wrong!

MewlingQuim Sun 16-Apr-17 19:25:02

Honesty and hedge garlic. They are both 'weeds' but one is pretty and the other edible. Do you like them enough to keep them or not? They aren't invasive or poisonous, so it depends if you like wildflowers.

My gardening strategy is that anything is prettier than bare earth. If it's green and not spiky/poisonous/invasive it is more than welcome and flowers are a bonus. Dry shade under trees is always difficult to grow plants in so I would probably leave them be.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sun 16-Apr-17 22:37:42

They are all three edible!

What excellent discoveries, thanks grin

I'm going to have to clear out the hedge garlic, as it's taking over my bluebell patch.

Hmmm...thinking forage soup...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now