Talk

Advanced search

How do I mend a cracked terracotta pot?

(11 Posts)
senua Sat 15-Apr-17 21:28:06

I have a large (17" diameter, 1" lip) terracotta pot that has cracked in two places. It is probably held together by root at the moment.grin
How do I mend it? I would like do do metal hoops (like on a barrel) if possible -there is decorative banding on the pot below the rim and midway up, so there is something to cling onto.
Any ideas?

JT05 Sun 16-Apr-17 07:59:09

A difficult one.
You can buy lead on a roll that is used for making stained glass windows. That might do the trick.
I'd try to put glue along the crack first, as a bit of reinforcement.

InfiniteSheldon Sun 16-Apr-17 08:04:41

I break them in half and use them. in an interesting and artistic manner to shade clematis roots never managed to successfully mend one so placemarking

MrsJackRackam Sun 16-Apr-17 09:23:19

These have been held together with wire, looks effective.

senua Sun 16-Apr-17 09:58:26

Thanks for comments so far.
I was thinking of lead or wire or something like that but how do you get the fastening secure? It has to take a lot of stress.
Please don't say welding!

lljkk Sun 16-Apr-17 10:16:27

Turn it over & make it into a Froggie house/feature. Buy a new pot without cracks.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sun 16-Apr-17 11:07:50

If you are using wire then you would twist the ends together using pliers, this would enable you to tension the wire.

senua Sun 16-Apr-17 18:44:51

I have spoken to son-in-law: the answer is Jubilee clips!

sunnyhills Mon 17-Apr-17 13:45:19

My dad used to tension things by sticking something like a pencil or long nail vertically/at right angles with the cord /wire and twisting it round .

not sure if I've explained that very well blush

Moresaltedcaramel Tue 18-Apr-17 14:25:26

This works
www.milliput.com/terracotta.html

senua Thu 20-Apr-17 09:42:35

I get you sunnyhills. It's what I do with a matchstick to tension the string on steamed puddings but I wanted something more tape-like (spread the pressure) as I think that wire might dig in too much.

Thanks for the info on milliput.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now