Advanced search

Has anyone bought from Brittany Perennials?

(11 Posts)
VermicularCanister Fri 14-Apr-17 16:50:06

I have an empty border to fill, and I found them on the internet ( It looks as though the prices are reasonable for good sized pots, but I can't find many reviews online. Has anyone used them? If so, would you recommend?

JT05 Sat 15-Apr-17 08:00:48

No I've never heard of them. How do they compare, pricewise, with other suppliers.
I am always wary about mail order plants. The only supplier I would recommend is Elizabeth McGregor Nurseries, she is a Chelsea gold medal winner.
I've visited her nursery and know the quality of her plants, all grown by her personally. Have a look at her on line catalogue.

Trethew Sat 15-Apr-17 15:51:50

Never heard of Brittany Perennials, but just looked up Elizabeth McGregor and she has a wonderful list

Growinggirlsmum Thu 20-Apr-17 12:50:35

Yes, I took a punt and ordered from them just before Easter and the delivery arrived today, beautifully packaged and all plants excellent quality. ( Half the price of Crocus who I normally order from)- Move over Crocus! Make way Brittany Perrenials- I'm about to order some more now!!

VermicularCanister Sun 23-Apr-17 08:36:18

Thanks so much for posting, Growinggirlsmum, that is exactly what I wanted to hear!

As no-one came on to say they were to be avoided at all costs, I also took a chance and placed an order, and they are due next week.

I thought it was worth a chance as they seem to have a really good range, so I could get many of the specific things I was after in a single order instead of shopping around and paying multiple shipping costs. And yes, a whole lot cheaper than Crocus! Anyway I will update when the delivery arrives.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 23-Apr-17 08:41:51

I buy loads online, mainly from J Parkers and Thompson and Morgan. Parkers big plug plants are massive. I have never been disappointed.

I spent yesterday potting up 60 lavender plug plants.

VermicularCanister Sun 23-Apr-17 09:48:37

That's good to know, Barchester, as I also have a small order placed with J Parkers. I've never ordered from them before either.

What size of plug plants have you had? I have ordered some in 5cm modules and 7cm pots. I decided against buying a load of 3cm plug plants, although it was tempting in terms of cost per plant, as I thought they might just take more care and attention than I can lavish on them at the moment.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 23-Apr-17 10:24:24

5cm plugs, 2 weeks on they are all thriving are 4-5 inches high. I have never had a bad batch.

ianbof Fri 15-Dec-17 08:16:34

I use Brittany perennials and can't fault them. Plants are of fantastic quality and in pots, so they have a better start. Their prices are so good as to make the shipping charge from France irrelevant. Postage is via DPD and the plants are always superbly packed and take about 10 days to arrive. The plants I ordered early in 2017 are now all doing well and I've had another lot recently. The 20 plants I bought cost me roughly £70. I couldn't get them in the UK (they were hardy ferns) by mail order and in a garden centre would have cost me closer to £250. Everything is sent to you in English. What's not to like?

Trethew Sat 16-Dec-17 14:51:05

I bought from them this year after seeing this post and looking at their list. Lots of interesting stuff but not all good specimens. Would give them 6 out of ten. Several plants failed to grow away and were really too small to have been despatched. Won’t order from them again but will be going back to Elizabeth McGregor

MaudAndOtherPoems Tue 26-Dec-17 12:11:43

That's interesting. I've never heard of EMcG but often buy from Hayloft (always excellent) and a lot of the free for postage offers from T&M via Gardeners' World magazine. I've had mixed results with Parker's plants in the past, but some plug plants I impulse bought with my bulbs are currently growing away very nicely in my cold frame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now