Talk

Advanced search

are these worth keeping?

(7 Posts)
SandyDays Tue 11-Apr-17 18:43:07

Please can someone let me know if these are plants worth keeping or if they should be added to the compost pile?
Thanks

JT05 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:37:03

They look like potentilla, which do have a wild flower version. So time will tell!

arbrighton Tue 11-Apr-17 21:59:18

Agree potentilla, flowers will be somewhere on the yellow/ orange spectrum I think

occasionalposter Tue 11-Apr-17 22:13:37

It looks like creeping cinquefoil to me - it is a potentilla, but not one you want growing in your garden!
It is a horrible weed with a really long taproot that is incredibly difficult to remove and it spreads like wildfire, especially along wall and fence bottoms! If it gets into your lawn you will never get rid of it.

I would not advise keeping it - I would use Agent Orange on it if I had any!!!
Can you tell that I have this stuff in my garden and I hate it?

SandyDays Wed 12-Apr-17 08:14:27

Thankyou for ID ing it for me, I think I'll get rid, we have enough weed problems already!

JT05 Wed 12-Apr-17 09:18:11

Ah yes, occasional is right, the weedy type of potentilla. I remember having it a garden once. It puts out runners, a bit like strawberries do. So when you pull it up make sure you get all the little off shoots.

SandyDays Wed 12-Apr-17 14:07:37

Thanks will do, they can't be any worse than the wild onion I seem to be growing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: