Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know what this herb is?

(15 Posts)
RintelsPoint Mon 10-Apr-17 00:22:33

Have rescued some abandoned herbs in pots. Cant figure out what this one is. Smells a bit like sage. The leaves at the top are about 1cm long.
Anyone know?

JT05 Mon 10-Apr-17 06:55:32

It looks like a Hebe, not a herb. I don't think you can eat them. It should have small white, pink or purple flowers soon.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Mon 10-Apr-17 07:08:29

That's not Hebe. It could be bistort. Another picture might help.

shovetheholly Mon 10-Apr-17 08:19:44

Could it be a very beat-up oregano?

JT05 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:26:26

Yes you're all right, not a hebe! Previous post too early in the morning! I've got my day eye on now! grin

shovetheholly Mon 10-Apr-17 08:30:08

JT - I've done that loads of times myself! It doesn't help when you're looking at the picture on a phone at a size of 1cm x 1cm because Mumsnet reduces all photos to the dimensions of a postage stamp!!

Trethew Mon 10-Apr-17 10:25:32

Agree with shove. Think its a cold oregano. Bruise the leaves and smell them - that should tell you

RintelsPoint Mon 10-Apr-17 12:26:25

I wondered oregano actually. But didn't look like the pics I googled. The leaves seem too long and think, plus they curl, and the purplish/red bits on the underside.
I did crush some and smell it and it smells familiar but clearly I don't have the most discerning nose!
The neighbour who left the plants was from Slovakia if that's any help? (In terms of herbs used in cooking).
I'm not sure about another pic, this was pretty close up as it was.

RintelsPoint Mon 10-Apr-17 12:26:53

*long and thin

shovetheholly Mon 10-Apr-17 12:35:11

The trouble with traumatised plants is that they don't look quite right,so it can be hard to identify them from a picture! grin If it is oregano, it should have flat leaves and look a whole lot happier. But adverse conditions could cause them to curl and go pink like that - if trethew and I are right, it's a sign it's suffering. (There are some plants where the leaves are supposed to curl, but my guess is that this isn't one of them).

RintelsPoint Mon 10-Apr-17 12:49:50

Ok another pick with my hand for scale.
The soil was quite dried out and it's been outside all winter - so probably not a happy plant! I'll be nice to it for a bit and see what happens. smile (Hope is oregano as that'd be useful!)

shovetheholly Mon 10-Apr-17 13:02:12

Yep, until someone more expert comes along, I'm sticking with some kind of oregano (the genus Origanum includes marjoram). Looks like it needs water, feeding and a warm spot in sun with some TLC. It should bounce back - it's a toughie. I'm quite surprised the pot has been outside - not because of the oregano (that is quite tough and can withstand cold) but because that looks like parsley next to it, which is not cold hardy.

The other possibility is some kind of root rot - but this tends to happen when the plant is too wet, and your message suggests it's been too dry?

EBearhug Mon 10-Apr-17 13:05:43

I also think it's some sort of origanum.

TotallyEclipsed Tue 11-Apr-17 20:07:29

These are pics of my golden oregano. They light's falling at the moment, so not that clear, but i think its pretty much the same. Even had a slight purply bit on one of the leaves.

greeeen Tue 11-Apr-17 20:19:51

I have an oregano that has that purple colour on the stems and the leaves curl like that when I neglect it. So another oregano vote!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now