Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this pretty white flowered bush please?

(17 Posts)
IncognitoBurrito Sun 09-Apr-17 20:43:15

I took this picture a couple of weeks ago so the flowers may be over by now, but it is gorgeous and I want one! Any ideas about what it could be. I have failed to find it on Google.
Thanks smile

LimitedSedition Sun 09-Apr-17 20:44:38

I think it's a Choisa/mock orange x did it smell particularly lovely? X

P1nkP0ppy Sun 09-Apr-17 20:47:48

Bit early for choisya, is it Exochorda X Machrantha 'The Bride'?

IncognitoBurrito Sun 09-Apr-17 20:49:05

I didn't notice a smell, and I did sniff it. The mock orange in my garden has only just come in to leaf but I suppose there are different varieties- some with less scent?

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sun 09-Apr-17 20:51:01

I had a mock orange in my garden but cut it down last year, the bloody thing was massive, about 10ft high and out of control! It's not a low maintenance bush 😊😀

IncognitoBurrito Sun 09-Apr-17 20:52:51

Oh wow, thanks P1nkP0ppy! I have never heard of that before. Looking on image search and that's the one. Off shopping I go.

WrongTrouser Sun 09-Apr-17 20:53:28

I agree with P0ppy

WoodYouBeHappy Sun 09-Apr-17 20:54:08

Spot on P1nk. I wore these in my hair on my wedding day.

Should still be flowering now. Ours is smile

www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=778

IncognitoBurrito Sun 09-Apr-17 20:55:18

Midnight - I moved house last year and it's not a big garden, but the lady before us had planted 7 mock oranges and absolutely nothing else but grass grin we have kept two and doled the rest out to friends and relations, too much of a good thing! Yes, they sprout all the time and get massive.

IncognitoBurrito Sun 09-Apr-17 20:58:34

Thanks so much all! WoodYou - beautiful choice for your wedding hair.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 09-Apr-17 21:02:13

Cheers! Happy planting op!
😀

JT05 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:07:14

I thought Choisa were Mexican orange blossom and Philadelphus were mock orange. Both have white flowers and scent, but Philadelphus flower towards the end of May.

shovetheholly Mon 10-Apr-17 09:04:16

Yep, Choisya & Philadelphus are different plants. My experience of Exochordia is that it likes sun. Places say it does OK in partial shade, but I've found that the spectacular display needs more light.

shovetheholly Mon 10-Apr-17 09:07:20

(I think the confusion is that the popular name for Choisya is Mexican orange blossom, whereas that for Philadelphus is mock orange).

LimitedSedition Sat 15-Apr-17 16:31:07

Aha, sorry for the confusion, I'm going to scout out a Philadelphus for the garden as well as the rec. from Poppy. I love white flowering bushes.

Thank you!

FireflyGirl Sun 16-Apr-17 12:58:42

I got a Philadelphus from the pound shop earlier in the year- Poundland, not world. It was just a 10 inch stick but is now happily budding away in the garden. Might be worth a look if you're not bothered about a full size plant yet?

arbrighton Sun 16-Apr-17 21:43:27

I'd say Choisya rather than Philadelphus

And the choisya in our garden (here when we arrived) is in full bud now, in the north west

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now