Talk

Advanced search

Any idea what this is??

(16 Posts)
CarmenWedmore Sun 09-Apr-17 15:32:27

Growing in our garden. Red leaves in Autumn. Only been here less than 2 years and no idea what it is. There are 5 of these altogether and they look like they want to take over!

Mermaidinthesea123 Sun 09-Apr-17 15:43:21

Well i'm not completely sure but it might be a dogwood shrub, has it ever flowered?
I put the image into google images but didn't get anything sensible out of that.

CarmenWedmore Sun 09-Apr-17 15:49:18

Ah will look dogwood up! No never seen any flowers on it. Is it likely to get very big? About a metre high at the moment. Thanks! A closer pic of the leaves here...

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 09-Apr-17 15:56:15

Could be a campsis, looking at those leaves, in which case you'll probably need to train it up something - does it appear to be climbing on your fence? If it is a campsis it will have beautiful orangey-red trumpets when it does flower (can take a few years to flower)

CarmenWedmore Sun 09-Apr-17 16:28:39

Just looked campsis up. Leaves on my shrub don't look as grooved as those on pics but could this be because it's young? Also does campsis turn red in Autumn?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 09-Apr-17 17:41:28

It can do, yes.
I was thinking it might be one of the Rhus family, but the leaves are too spaced apart (they DO go a beautiful red in autumn).

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 09-Apr-17 17:52:00

Maybe some kind of ash? I got a bit excited, and thought it might be prickly ash but that's a USA native, and doesn't appear to go red in the autumn.
Sorry!

GingerKitCat Sun 09-Apr-17 17:55:31

Not a relation to nandina is it?

AlternativeTentacle Sun 09-Apr-17 17:56:21

Not prickly ash, I have two of these and you'd know as the prickles are a feature to say the least.

AlternativeTentacle Sun 09-Apr-17 17:57:14

Q - do you like them? Are they doing anything for you?

If not hoik them out and replace with something you actually like.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 09-Apr-17 18:02:23

All right, I'm going with euonymus alatus. That's my final offer grin

CarmenWedmore Sun 09-Apr-17 18:31:49

I do like them, beautiful in Autumn! Not sure what they do rest of the year though! Ah is that the 'burning bush' I've seen a few pics of? As the leaves do look very alike.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 10-Apr-17 00:55:40

Yes Carmen - the burning bush. Lots of slightly different variants, but the small tree/large shrubs seemed to have the growing habit shown in your first pic. Do you have an autumnal photo of it as well?

CarmenWedmore Mon 10-Apr-17 14:00:17

No autumnal pics, Thumb, but I remember it's a very vivid pinky red. Do you know if I need to keep it trimmed back?? Thanks.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 11-Apr-17 11:42:03

This seems to offer the most comprehensive advice, if it is indeed the burning bush, despite being an American site.
Yes, trim it back if you need to, but early before new leaves come in (according to that website! wink)

CarmenWedmore Tue 11-Apr-17 16:16:14

Great, thanks Thumb!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now