Talk

Advanced search

covering up very boggy garden

(4 Posts)
onceandneveragain Sun 09-Apr-17 12:31:41

I only today found out there was a gardening topic on MN so hoping some of you green fingered geniuses will be able to give me a hand!

I've got a standard semi-detached property with fairly decently sized back garden raised about 6 inches higher than the house.

The problem is that it's very near to marshland, and then the sea, so in any weather other than complete dryness it becomes waterlogged and boggy. Seriously I found a frog living there last summer! This means it's completely unusable 8 months of the year. It's currently grass but because it's so wet I can hardly ever use the mower to cut it - I did it for the first time since October yesterday (even though after a week of sun parts were still damp) and it was nearly two foot long in places!

So I've decided I need to cover it up.I'm going to get a few people in to look at it but I just wanted some idea first so I look vaguely knowledgeable when they talk to me and so I don't get conned into paying for features I don't need!

Would I be able to just put that black weed preventer material stuff down and then cover with stones - I've seen a lot of gardens done out like that and like it, plus my budget is pretty limited so would be cheaper than patio, or would the water rise up and ruin this?

Would I need some sort of drainage system even if I had it patioed?
I've discounted decking because I think it would rot quickly due to the water.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

ApplesTheHare Thu 13-Apr-17 13:15:23

I've got a friend who had a similar sounding garden. He dug it all out, put in a sump and pump, covered round and over it with a layer of gravel then put most of the soil back down and created a lawn on top. It's not been flooded since!

GoldenFleck Mon 17-Apr-17 01:03:56

I think swales/ditches are supposed to direct groundwater away from areas of land that you want to keep drier. You may be able to dig these yourselves to save labour costs but I would think that you need to make sure they are angled/positioned correctly so they do not direct water towards your house - I would get advice on how to dig these correctly if you do this.

You could plant up the areas of garden where the water is directed using species that like damp ground conditions for example rushes, sedges and shrubby tree species like willow and ornamental birches.

Also, make sure any hard surface you put down allows water to penetrate through otherwise you may get pools of standing water.

Shwighty1 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:27:46

If your budget is limited then I'd suggest creating a bog garden!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now