Talk

Advanced search

More plant id please?

(9 Posts)
FreshsatsumaforDd Sat 08-Apr-17 11:54:25

Two more odd plants though I think that they could be weeds brought in by the birds. First one has quite tough leaves and ominous small spikes or spines on the stem.

Second much softer thinner leaves. Both only 6 inches high as yet. Second and third photos are the same plant.

Any clues? Many thanks.

FreshsatsumaforDd Sat 08-Apr-17 12:05:12

First one looks like some sort of berry, but not blackberry. Similar to some images of loganberry, but not quite the same.

Mrsmorton Sat 08-Apr-17 12:06:26

Second one looks like tree peony leaves. Any more angles of it?

Mrsmorton Sat 08-Apr-17 12:07:01

Oh, maybe not actually. They're not dissected enough.

FreshsatsumaforDd Sat 08-Apr-17 12:26:38

Thanks but sadly I don't think that it's a tree peony, much as I would be delighted if it was.

JT05 Sat 08-Apr-17 12:48:18

First one is a berry, possibly bramble, second one is Pheasant Berry - L something can't remember it's exact spelling. It makes quite a pretty bush and can be cut right down in the spring, for new growth.
It can be a nuisance in the wrong place.
I'm thinking of growing one in a pot, as it would've quite exotic in my courtyard.

FreshsatsumaforDd Tue 11-Apr-17 12:49:14

Thank you. I might keep the second one in a pot and see how it develops. The first is different from the rest of the brambles that I am constantly cutting back so I was a little hopeful that it was an interesting berry.

Trethew Tue 11-Apr-17 20:48:46

Agree with JT. Pictures 2 and 3 are Leycesteria formosa.

Picture 1 looks like a blackberry variety called Oregon Thornless, except it's not thornless. Maybe it's Rubus laciniatus, the cutleaf blackberry

FreshsatsumaforDd Tue 11-Apr-17 21:32:15

Ok, thanks very much. I'll keep the second one and nurture it but I think that the cut leaf blackberry can be removed.

Thankyou both for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now