Talk

Advanced search

Russian vine / JKW query.....

(6 Posts)
Blinkingblimey Thu 06-Apr-17 11:18:34

Hi all, I have been clearing a section of garden which is now springing (pun intended😁) back into life. I have realised that one of the monsters I'm dealing with is Russian vine which is throwing new shoots out of its woody branches. What is concerning me however is some new shoots coming straight out the ground (in v close proximity/at the base of) the Russian vine - they look identical both to those coming out of the Vine's branches but ALSO to what I would expect Japanese Knotweed shoots to look like. My simple question is whether the Russian Vine is likely to be putting up new shoots from the ground? I'm on high alert as had a couple of Knotweed canes spring up last year in another section I'd cleared (which I cut and injected). Obv if these are vine shoots I'll just cut and burn them, if they're JKW I'll need to bide my time and Glyphosate them at the appropriate moment! Any help/pointers really appreciated - am relatively new to gardening and thus far I'm feeling rather like I've been thrown in at the deep end😁!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 06-Apr-17 11:31:43

I have just been out to look at mine, but no signs of any "groundwork"...it's all growing from branches iyswim
It was jammed in a large pot for the past ten years or so and was a scarecrow of a Russian Vine...but we had a stony bit of a border over a water pipe along a wall, so I shoved it in there last year to take its chances and it really made an effort.

shovetheholly Fri 07-Apr-17 10:28:03

Aren't Russian vine shoots less fat - and don't they lack the bamboo-like horizontal markings and red speckling you get in JK? If they are trying to climb, it's definitely vine.

Blinkingblimey Fri 07-Apr-17 11:55:05

Hiya both, thanks for responding. Yes JKW is normally fatter but if it's the bonsai version (which it could be as the area has been smothered by the Vine and a massive Portuguese laurel for at least a decade or so) then it may potentially present as thinner....the sensible part of me thinks I should leave it to be sure and then tackle it but the uptight bit of me just wants rid now. I'm doing my best not to thoroughly wind myself up re the potential for a hybridised version which I've read is possible and given both are in the same garden..... At least I can (for the time being) console myself that it's a good distance from the house, though my bigger worry is to stop it (should it be JKW) spreading to anyone else's land...but then it's obv been there for years and years so hopefully would've done by now if it was going to! Ugh, gardening's meant to be a (mentally) relaxing hobby!!

shovetheholly Fri 07-Apr-17 12:01:51

I know what you mean about the sense of just wanting to be rid, but I think your 'sensible head' is screwed on right - wait and see what it is so that you can take the appropriate action.

People talk about JK being this triffid-like nightmare, but it IS controllable, and you can and will win this battle. The fact that you're doing all the right things, and being vigilant for its return, is a really good sign to me that you're going to be on top of this in no time!

The hybridisation of Fallopias is possible but really rare I think - I would try not to worry too much. smile

It might be worth thinking about getting rid of the russian vine altogether. They are thugs and unless you really love it, there are probably nicer things you could plant. smile

Blinkingblimey Fri 07-Apr-17 20:45:14

Hahaha - I'd love to get rid of the blighter..... I've already cleared it from at least an eighth of an acre and am now down to the incredible mess where it was obviously first planted. I cannot fathom how long it's going to take me to get through the final intertwined mess of branches. We've thought about using the chainsaw but aren't keen as you can't see what you're cutting into underneath and don't want to risk a kick back, the hedge trimmer doesn't touch the sides and it'll take eons with just loppers.....what I reckon I really need is a machete😂....ideally in addition to few tribesmen well practised at jungle clearance😆

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now