Talk

Advanced search

What are some nice plants that drape down a wall?

(16 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Wed 05-Apr-17 18:33:22

Just a short wall! Knee height or so. I'd like something either colourful, or with nice foliage. Evergreen maybe? Can't really do a climber as the bed below it isn't great, and I have creeping thyme growing on it just to cover the area.

I was considering tumbling strawberries, as the wall is on the patio, but I can't be bothered with the faff of netting.

Any ideas?

MrsBertBibby Wed 05-Apr-17 19:53:48

Aubretia is nice and tumbly

MrsBertBibby Wed 05-Apr-17 19:54:56

Does the wall face the sun, or away from it?

viques Wed 05-Apr-17 19:56:27

If you make the thyme budge up a bit you could plant sedums, quite a lot of them have long stems that would dangle and eventually colonise the wall.

Liara Wed 05-Apr-17 19:57:37

Aubrieta tumble very nicely and are lovely at this time of year.

Also blue convulvulus (rock bindweed).

If you have the patience to water, all the usual suspects used for trailing in hanging baskets would do too, but they are usually annuals.

MrsBertBibby Wed 05-Apr-17 19:59:53

Oh yes, I impulse bought a bidens (goldeneye?) last summer and stuck it at the top of a little ugly wall, it was marvellous. Bacopa is great too.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 05-Apr-17 20:06:33

Aubretia and convilvulus are lovely. I've been enjoying the beegenia I can see from my kitchen window. It's evergreenand makes nice clumps in the border but looks lovely drooping over the edge of a wall.

GinAndOnIt Wed 05-Apr-17 20:34:56

Oh I'm actually growing aubretia from seed at the moment! I thought it was a low growing carpet that I could grow between paving slabs...

The wall is facing away from sun annoyingly.

Liara Wed 05-Apr-17 20:40:32

It is a low growing carpet that tumbles beautifully as soon as it reaches an edge...

GinAndOnIt Wed 05-Apr-17 21:10:20

Ah! That could look rather good to have it sort of creeping around the garden in a way, too.

MrsBertBibby Wed 05-Apr-17 21:41:46

I have a similar wall, facing away from most of the sun. So I shall be interested to know how aubretia does if you plant it.

wrinkleseverywhere Wed 05-Apr-17 21:52:27

Trailing rosemary? Evergreen (if in a sheltered spot), will have some small flowers & will smell lovely

shovetheholly Thu 06-Apr-17 07:22:27

I really love Cymbalaria muralis - such a delicate, orchid-like flower. Also, Persicaria vacciniifolia - striking pink flower and a mat-former, grows well on walls.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 06-Apr-17 08:27:55

Just checked out tha cymbalaria muralis and I'm sure I've pulled it out as a weed in the past! hmm

Trethew Thu 06-Apr-17 09:11:50

These will all cope in a shady site

Periwinkle
Variegated ivy
Trailing fuchsia
Rubus (may be too vigorous)
Bergenias (will eventually flop down a wall)
Pachysandra terminalis
Cornus canadensis

sunnyhills Thu 06-Apr-17 10:32:34

Shotgun snap .
I have lots of cymbalaria muralis and I do love it very much .It grows in containers which I overwinter but tends to swamp everything so I do tend to pull it out .
Maybe I should give it a container to itself .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now