Talk

Advanced search

Planting around Leylandii Stumps

(3 Posts)
Tatiebee Wed 05-Apr-17 10:53:31

A couple of years ago we cut down 8 huge Leylandiis and have one remaining rather sparse pine tree. I'd really like some colour there but don't really want the faff of pulling out the stumps, is there anything that I could plant in the area that might stand a good chance of surviving in between the old tree roots?

JT05 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:08:07

Over the winter we have just done the same thing. We left the stumps at waist height and have attached metal trellis, with builder's staples to the trunks. I have planted clematis, rambling and climbing roses around the stumps. In between I have planted Osmanthus, Daphne and some other low growing shrubs.
They are south facing and I really enhanced the soil with manure and compost. All seem to be doing well and puttin on new growth. I will mulch them with more compost throughout the season.

Tatiebee Wed 05-Apr-17 11:11:04

I hadn't considered attaching trellis, our stumps are only low but I'm sure I could fashion something around them, you've got my imagination whirring now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now