Talk

Advanced search

Any edible crops that can be grown in shade?

(12 Posts)
mmmmmchocolate Wed 05-Apr-17 09:29:57

Is there anything that could be grown in troughs or pots along a north-west facing fence? The area gets maybe about 3 hours late afternoon/early evening sunlight throughout the summer. Edible crops would be preferable. It looks really bare along there. Thank you.

shovetheholly Wed 05-Apr-17 12:27:47

Rhubarb
Wild garlic
Sorrel (take care, it self-seeds)
Alpine strawberries
Mint (keep it in a pot)
Chicory
Purple sage

Afishcalledchips Wed 05-Apr-17 19:22:25

Unhelpfully watching.

We've put some wild garlic in pots in a dry shady part of our garden, they're really happy there.

Afishcalledchips Wed 05-Apr-17 19:26:59

www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/how-to-grow/how-to-grow-veg-in-the-shade/

Liara Wed 05-Apr-17 19:52:26

Lettuce grows quite well in shade.

JesusTwerks Wed 05-Apr-17 19:57:28

Wasabi
Cannabis

ElleDubloo Wed 05-Apr-17 20:17:57

Lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard

mmmmmchocolate Wed 05-Apr-17 20:49:34

Lol at cannabis! I've got lots of these things in other parts of the garden, although I don't think you can ever have too many rhubarb plants so I'll see if I can get another one!

I might just go for some lettuce or spinach this year and have a go at alpine strawberries next year. Thanks everyone 😊

Kokapetl Wed 05-Apr-17 22:10:59

Also kale, if you like it.

Depending on how high the fence is, you could grow runner beans or another climbing bean with the idea that it will grow up into the sunshine. Worked well for a neighbour on the other side of our SE facing fence.

mmmmmchocolate Thu 06-Apr-17 07:11:46

Hmm I've actually got runner bean seeds that I didn't plant because I haven't got the space and I don't like the taste of them 😂 But I do think they look really pretty! I guess a few seeds in a trough and see what happens whilst I wait for everything else to come up.

TroysMammy Thu 06-Apr-17 07:16:49

Also reading with interest. My garden is south facing but because of privacy issues I have had to put up a fence. Now half my garden is shaded. I have raised beds and pots on the sunny side and wanted to utilise more of the garden for growing veg.

Ulysses Thu 06-Apr-17 07:20:42

Another watcher. Been meaning to grow rhubarb for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now