Talk

Advanced search

Buddleia

(6 Posts)
OnTheGin Wed 05-Apr-17 08:32:05

Hi a couple of bundleia plants have appeared in my garden - they are growing quite quickly. I like the look of them but someone mentioned to me they are weeds. Are they? Thanks

Chasingsquirrels Wed 05-Apr-17 08:34:08

A weed is just a plant that's growing where it isn't wanted.

Buddelia are lovely, but they do spread and are fast growing - hence the weed reference.

If you like it keep it.
If you like it buy it gets too big, prune it back - hard.

JamesDelaneysHat Wed 05-Apr-17 08:37:05

They get lovely flowers on them and insects love them, especially butterflies. They are weed like in the way they grow very quickly but I think they are a great addition to a garden. You can prune them back really hard and they come back.

shovetheholly Wed 05-Apr-17 08:40:35

It's not a British native plant - it was introduced in the late 1800s. It does propagate itself very effectively, however, which is why you often see it growing wild - it's an early coloniser of wasteland sites. In my city there's a lot of post-industrial land that has been virtually taken over by it - great for butterflies and other insects, which love the flowers.

There's no reason to think it will take over your garden - you might have to root up the odd seedling, but if you like it then keep it! A lot of people buy and cultivate them as part of a posh border.

OnTheGin Wed 05-Apr-17 08:45:45

Thank you.

I will keep them - I like them. - I just didn't want people thinking I had a massive weed in the garden. smile

PlayOnWurtz Fri 07-Apr-17 16:18:46

Definitely keep it! I've got 2. One purposefully planted which is a rich deep purple and the other self set which is the more common lighter purple. Conveniently the self set one set up home in a disused corner of the garden so we are happy to leave it be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now