Talk

Advanced search

Plant identification

(15 Posts)
Callmegeoff Mon 03-Apr-17 19:18:46

I have a getting larger clump of these in the lawn. I'd like to divide and move them. Any clues what they are ?

Callmegeoff Mon 03-Apr-17 19:19:40

Forgot to say they smell mildly oniony.

Garnethair Mon 03-Apr-17 19:20:42

Wild garlic

Polly99 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:21:05

I have these too. Would love to know what they are. I've discovered that when crushed they kill slugs!

Wikky Mon 03-Apr-17 19:22:33

I think it's wild garlic - i think it usually grows in woody areas but I could be totally wrong. It smells garlicky

DustyBustle Mon 03-Apr-17 19:31:54

If it's will garlic (which it sounds/looks like) then dig it up, making sure you get the bulbs, and the numerous tiny baby bulbs and then throw it AWAY!!

It spreads like a spready thing and It's a nightmare to get rid of, yes the flowers are lovely, and the smell of garlic is pleasant for a while, but once you're sick of the smell every time you cut the grass and your borders are full and messy as hell with the stuff you will wish you had never found it.

If you really want to have it try keeping it in planters for a while and see the monster you could be creating.

<over dramatic>

DustyBustle Mon 03-Apr-17 19:35:27

And I think they're used around rose beds to keep slugs and critters away.

The now grassed area of the rose bed we moved 15 years ago still has the fecking garlic infecting it.

shovetheholly Mon 03-Apr-17 19:36:33

I don't think that's wild garlic - the flowers of that are smaller. I think it's an allium, though - the three-cornered leek or Allium triquetrum.

DustyBustle Mon 03-Apr-17 19:39:23

I thought allium was more of a Pom Pom type cluster of flower?

Polly99 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:40:00

In my case it might be an allium. The leaves are narrower than wild garlic I think.

shovetheholly Mon 03-Apr-17 19:41:08

Allium is just a name for onions! There are LOTS of different kinds of alliums. Wild garlic is one, three-cornered leek is another, and the pom-pom Allium 'Purple Sensation' is another!

DustyBustle Mon 03-Apr-17 19:44:12

Ah, thanks holly. The one invading my garden has the flower the op shows but the leaves are grassy not broad. But very squishy.

Callmegeoff Mon 03-Apr-17 19:56:01

holly thanks , it is that, and seems to be quite invasive. As it is in my lawn it gets mown once the flowers are done, so hadn't seeded everywhere I do like it but I don't think I'll divide it!

shovetheholly Wed 05-Apr-17 08:32:21

Yes, it's a spreader for sure! It is invasive, so do keep an eye on it. The good news, though, is that you can eat it, so if you do have to get rid, geoff, you can think of it as a crop!!

dusty - yep, wild garlic has broad leaves and globe-like flowers. Three-cornered leek has leaves that are more narrow and grass like and rather drooping, larger flowers.

user1469111065 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:27:04

This is my wild garlic, growing in large pots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now