Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about planting a hedge?

(5 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Mon 03-Apr-17 11:42:08

We have a small front garden that has to contain our wheely bins and will soon also have a bike shed in it. Pic of front of house attached. I have been hankering after a hedge since we moved in last year - probably a classic box hedge(but open to ideas) , just a foot and a half or so above the wall to screen the top of the bins and shed. Can anyone help me with how to start? Would I be looking at several years before I had a decent hedge? The ground below is concreted so I was thinking we'd build a sort of trough behind the wall (see second pic) and plant in that, but no idea how wide or deep it would have to be. We don't want to use up too much space as it's needed for the bike shed. Or would it be easier all round just to build a fence like the one in the second pic?

JessieMcJessie Mon 03-Apr-17 11:42:48

Sorry, fence like in the third pic.

Wikky Mon 03-Apr-17 12:06:04

I think I'd be tempted to go for the fence idea and maybe have a couple of planters behind it with a few rambling plants. (Winter jasmine, clematis? ) Planting a hedge in a raised bed is perfectly doable but it's a lot of work and often they look a bit ropey unless they are cared for well. A fence isa lot less work and if you have a couple of pots behind it to provide some geeenery it won't matter so much if the plants aren't happy.

If you go for the hedge idea I'd have a look around and see what grows well in nearby houses and copy them. I love box but it can look scruffy and takes a while to grow. I prefer privet . It's not hedge planting season so if you do go for a hedge you might want to consider bigger plants that are already established.
I love beech hedges - they are inexpensive and easy to care for. You would have to keep it under control though as it fairly fast growing - it doesn't mind a good hack though. I also love pssitcorum (I tried looking up the spelling and I'm so far off that I can't even find it but that's how it's pronounced😂) it is evergreen which would be an advantage.

Sorry for typos etc but I'm on my phone

JessieMcJessie Mon 03-Apr-17 15:34:22

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Wikky Mon 03-Apr-17 16:26:57

Hopefully someone else might come along who knows more than me. It be good to get advice from some of the more knowledgeable posters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now