Advanced search

Buxus - i am impatient! Need MN wisdom

(3 Posts)
NonHerbalReasoning Mon 03-Apr-17 05:26:57

I have about 30m of fairly well established buxus, ranging in height from 2-3 ft. A good amount of new spring growth is present. But I'd really like to trim it now by about 6-10 inches. All the websites say not to, that I should wait until late May at least. Must I?! If it trim it now to form a flat straight top am I risking anything? Ideally the spring growth would continue and tighten up the newly trimmed parts.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Mon 03-Apr-17 06:35:32

The reason for the pruning recommendation is that if we have a frost, new growth triggered by the pruning can be killed off and damage caused further into the plant.

So it's up to you. You could risk it and keep some horticultural fleece to hand to sling over it on cold nights.

NonHerbalReasoning Mon 03-Apr-17 07:09:22

Thanks, that's helpful. Very little chance of a night frost where I am, but still getting down to 4-5'.

Do you know if the new growth, much of which would be trimmed, will 'start again'? If this is unlikely then I'll wait, because the density of leaves is what I'm after.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: