Talk

Advanced search

Wildlife pond LIVE!

(18 Posts)
GingerKitCat Sun 02-Apr-17 20:39:21

I just had to share the excitement, I'm finally planting up and filling my long-awaited wildlife pond (at 8:30pm!)

A lovely, knowledgeable gentleman on Freegle has set me up with a collection of starter plants and water beasties grin

Mumofazoo Sun 02-Apr-17 21:11:23

This is our first spring with our nature pond and it's my favourite thing in our garden. We have tadpoles at the moment and water snails and our water hawthorn has flowered. Putting a pond in was one of the most rewarding things we have done, I spend ages sat next to it reading. When it's completed you will have to put a pic on grin

GingerKitCat Sun 02-Apr-17 23:17:50

Thank you grin Your pond sounds lovely flowers
I need to add a photo in daylight tomorrow!

I'm extremely pleased that my hose connected to the water butt else I'd have been out there all night filling it!

I need to sort out the surrounding area and plant up the perimeter to give some good cover for frogs and so on. Maybe in time I'll add a bog garden but for now I think I'll keep it ornamental ponders

I've created a brick/ pebble ramp as it's a steep-sided liner and added a couple of slender branches dipping in the water. Apparently this is a good thing!? I have various logs and broken teracotta pots I can add nearby smile

Do you have a photo of your pond?

GingerKitCat Sun 02-Apr-17 23:25:11

ps I've googled water hawthorn. I still need a floating aquatic plant and was looking up miniature water lilies. I might investigate this instead (apologies if it's a type of water lily, I'm so tired!)

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 09:19:15

Here's my pond.

shovetheholly Mon 03-Apr-17 10:42:23

<3 it's gorgeous!! And one of the very best things you can do for wildlife! I'm so jealous!

lavenderandrose Mon 03-Apr-17 10:42:53

Subbing - love ponds!

GingerKitCat Mon 03-Apr-17 10:54:52

Oh it's beautiful! What sort of planting do you have surrounding it? I think I need some reeds/ irises/ spikey things (technical) grin

The cat has spent 30mins gazing into it. I hope he's admiring his reflection and not plotting amphibian murder.

Shove build a wildlife pond!

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:20:35

Thanks, glad you like it 😊. The pond was neglected, when we arrived last summer. We cleared the sludge out over the winter and tidied the surround. In the pond is a small, invasive yellow water Lilly. We've cleared all but three roots of it and intend to get a small pink/ white one. The other plant in the pond is a huge Arum Lilly, it is rooted to the bottom and did not flower last summer. The newts, frogs and tadpoles love it so I'm trying to think of ways to contain it and get flowers.
Around the pond are large York stone boulders, it must have been lovely when it was first built. Over the winter I have removed the weeds and ivy. Already growing are a blue iris, some cranesbill geraniums, a huge pesicaria and something as yet unknown. I've started putting alpines and rock plants around the edge.

LIZS Mon 03-Apr-17 11:22:58

Ooh that's nice. I started a small one a few weeks ago but no frogs etc so far

GingerKitCat Mon 03-Apr-17 14:40:52

Pond in progress:

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:01:01

Looks a great start. Watch out for the duck weed floating on top. It quickly multiplies and will completely cover the pond.

GingerKitCat Mon 03-Apr-17 16:24:06

Thank you, the chap I got the plants from did apologise for that! Am I best to skim it off and dispose of to keep on top of it?

LIZS Mon 03-Apr-17 16:27:32

What are those plants? Mine keep toppling over sad

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 16:33:22

Yes use a net to skim it off, daily! It grows so fast.

Mumofazoo Mon 03-Apr-17 16:56:20

Going to put in some more plants around the edge of the pond and some more rocks.

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:03:40

Your pond looks like it's going to be great Mumofazoo . Can I see fish already in it? Long frondy plants would look good with the buddahs peeking through.

Mumofazoo Tue 04-Apr-17 09:30:12

Thank you JT05 that's what we are planning on doing grin Yes we put in a couple as it was going to be an ornamental pond but we decided we would get more enjoyment from a wildlife pond. However the fish are doing really well and haven't bothered with the frogspawn or tadpoles as I think the varying depths are protecting them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now