Talk

Advanced search

Something for pots that looks good all year round?

(5 Posts)
GlitteryFluff Sun 02-Apr-17 20:31:34

Is there anything I can get for window boxes and plant pots that looks good all year round?

I seem to have things that are lovely in summer and then look dead for the rest of the year.

Any ideas? Small in size ideally.

Area is quite shaded (it's a covered balcony area so gets the sun a bit but is quite shady).

Thanks

Patchouli666 Sun 02-Apr-17 22:37:01

Ferns? Grasses?

JT05 Mon 03-Apr-17 07:08:42

I had two manger type baskets and for all year interests I put in these types of things with bedding flowers in the summer.
Slow growing heathers, small alpines, and you can get very small firs cheaply in multipacks, but they have to be replaced every couple of years. Bulbs are useful, especially in spring, a fierce they've flowered they can be lifted and dried or left for next year.

MrsJamin Mon 03-Apr-17 07:09:57

I always kill things in pots, I've given up now. I think for them to survive you have to water them a lot.

Goldfishjane Mon 03-Apr-17 19:02:39

Assuming you don't have outdoor space? I've been chatting with neighbors and just started planting last year.

Winter cyclamen and silver folia did well and last ages
Irises and mini daffs did well
Crocuses lasted so short a time it wasn't worth it
Festuca blue grass looking good on a neighbours balcony and looked fine all winter

I've now bought convolvulus and a poster here said it might be in flower till November

I'm not keeping any bulbs because I'd have nowhere to keep them. The first thing I'd been told about containers is to spend little and see them as seasonally disposable. If you have loads of spaces then its different but if you're in a small flat with small balcony or window boxes, I think low spend and regular change is the only way to avoid having horrible dying back plants you see all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now