Talk

Advanced search

Morrisons £1 fuchsia query

(10 Posts)
GingerKitCat Sat 01-Apr-17 12:55:38

Morrisons have millions of different varieties of fuchsia for £1 this week smile

The descriptions are bush, trailing, patio, hardy (some overlap).

Would the "hardy" ones be perennial in the SE?
I can't remember all the varieties but I picked up a couple of Dollar Princess marked hardy in the hope that they are!

MrsBertBibby Sat 01-Apr-17 15:32:52

I have a dollar princess, it's survived a couple of winters in a large pot.

Not started sprouting yet this year, mind.

MrsBertBibby Sat 01-Apr-17 15:33:57

I am in Surrey, btw. As is my dad, who took mine as a cutting off his.

MrsBertBibby Sat 01-Apr-17 18:51:30

Although having been to Morrisons this after reasons for conveniently manufactured reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with your thread, and accidentally bought a carmel blue fuchsia, I don't think my dollar princess is, in fact, a dollar princess. I suspect Dad's got his cuttings muddled up!

RedSandYellowSand Sat 01-Apr-17 18:57:46

My Grandmother had loads of Fushias which were perinnials in Cambridgeshire. She used to get very cross with me, as I loved popping open the flowers. They were pretty sheltered, and against the house in pots.

GingerKitCat Sat 01-Apr-17 19:10:00

Thanks Bert and Red!

These ones are for the flowerbed specifically the one in partial shade. I've popped them in and will hope for the best grin

I already have a few small container ones on the hot, sheltered patio which have managed to keep going through several winters. They were bought as annuals flowers

Good old Dad Bert! Glad I didn't influence your visit to Morrisons in any way, shape or form cough cough

I think I've got a fuchsia bug, might have to pop back for a couple more...

Red I'd totally forgotten, I used to do the same as a child. Such a satisfying pop grin

MrsBertBibby Sat 01-Apr-17 19:24:11

I adore them. One of mine (again from Dad) is a cutting of a cutting by many removes of one in my Grandma's garden when I was tiny. It is a beauty, I did a little fist pump yesterday when I saw it had started sprouting as I manhandled it out of its pot and into a new bed last autumn, and I was scared it wouldn't be happy.

I suspect they're happier in the ground, though. They aren't the toughest, and I guess that's warmer than in a container. Probably appreciate a duvet of mulch in the autumn too.

MrsJamin Mon 03-Apr-17 07:14:14

I bloody love morrisons for their garden plants! Such good quality and price.

sunnyhills Mon 03-Apr-17 09:45:52

I agree MrsJ - our Morrisons is great for plants . All right they won't win medals for stocking a wide and unusual range but SO cheap and healthy .

bookbook Mon 03-Apr-17 10:03:14

I have 4 hardy fuschia in my garden, in the ground in East Yorkshire - all survive quite nicely - they are just breaking now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now