Talk

Advanced search

digging up daffodil bulbs

(9 Posts)
jamie2 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:39:48

I've got masses of headless daff leaves. How can I get rid of them permanently? I paid someone to dig them all up last year but more have come up this year. how can I stop them multiplying? If I just cut the leaves of will they eventually die off?

BagittoGo Thu 30-Mar-17 19:42:23

The bulbs will keep flowering year after year. You need to dig up the bulbs unfortunately. If ur going to do it I would do it now as it will obvious where they are. Any reason they're headless?

jamie2 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:45:43

Thanks Bagitto I've been digging all week so I'm resigned to it. I don't know why they are headless but don't really want the daff flowers anyway as they suffocate out all my other plants. There are masses of them.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Fri 31-Mar-17 07:28:57

Are you sure they are daffodils? Just asking as it's unusual for daffs to spread this much without flowering.

Playmobilpeacock Fri 31-Mar-17 07:31:30

Are they Spanish bluebells?

We have a problem with these in our garden. I dug sacks and sacks worth out last year and it's as if I did nothing angry

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Fri 31-Mar-17 07:35:46

I was thinking Spanish bluebells too.
They do tend to smother everything. .

Although if the OP has allowed them to get to the flowering stage she'd know the difference.

jamie2 Fri 31-Mar-17 12:14:53

You may be right about bluebells. However there'sno sign of any flowering heads. How can I get rid of them permanently?

BagittoGo Fri 31-Mar-17 12:17:17

Oh yes they could be bluebells. They're a mass of leaves and eventually around now will start to bloom. I'm thinking of digging mine up as they pretty for about 2 mins then die and I have to tie the leaves down...

jamie2 Sat 01-Apr-17 01:07:25

I think they're a mixture of bluebells and grape hyacinths. Spent hours today trying to lift them. It will probably take a week before Im finished. Checked out various gardening sites and it seems they are nigh on impossible to get rid of, so it looks like this is going to be an annual job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now